Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Save Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kiran India

Kiran India

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:17 AM

Thirty thousand people have now signed InfoWorld's "Save XP" petition, which was launched a week ago. Roughly half were from the U.S. and the rest from other countries.

The petition asks Microsoft not to discontinue Windows XP as planned on June 30, but to instead keep it available alongside the newer Windows Vista indefinitely.

More than 100 people have added their own comments to InfoWorld's Save XP blog, and many external sites have promoted the campaign by adding InfoWorld's (a sister publication of PC World) countdown clock to their sites.

"Save XP"

For the complete text of the quoted article see this link.

Edit: Edited the quote to comply with copyright issues. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

I think Microsoft are very unwise in their apparent decision to opt of XP

the virus and nasties writers will have a field day if there is only ONE OS left that works; it too will be zapped and rendered unoperational

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

This probably isn't that simple -

Which "XP" do we want to save? SP2, SP3? No matter what, it will gradually become an out-dated OS unless it is continuously updated, in which case it will most likely continue to be more and more like Vista.

Apple's OS's continue to evolve, as does the Linux distro's.

"Change" isn't always bad, but it is always "not the same".

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hmmm... Perhaps Microsoft is trying to bring us into the new "era" of technology, first starting by upgrading to vista, because we definitely need more RAM for those who haven't already.
Posted Image

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Ugh, I have been thinking about this for some time, and it really got me back to thinking to when 95,98,2000, and even XP came out.

Resource hog... usless functions...
ETC!

Every one said the same things about previous operating systems. Im not saying XP is bad, its the exact oposite, nice stable OS.

Get on with your lives, Deal with Vista, becuase its not going to go away.

Or get a Mac :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Get on with your lives, Deal with Vista, becuase its not going to go away.

Or get a Mac :flowers:

Exactly -

or a Linux Distro.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Microsoft should keep support for XP until they release the next version of windows. They still support windows 2000 don't they? I want to see Microsoft WinMin, apparently a 25mb windows installation. Essential to Join the petition. I'm probably going to use XP until Microsoft drop support for vista :thumbsup: .

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

It's marketplace pressure that causes this. Most people want the latest and greatest of everything - it's "Keep up with the Jones'" gone wild. Rapidly advancing technology causes rapidly advancing desires (which the rapidly advancing technology is capable of fulfilling).

Unfortunately, the majority of the purchasers of new hardware don't post to these forums, nor are they interested in doing so. Most people treat their PC like any other household appliance. If it breaks, either call the repairperson or buy a new one.

Face it, those of us who hang out here are the minority. We like to understand what's going on underneath the hood of Windows - and that's just not something that everyone wants to do. At work, when I get into explaining a problem to a customer, I can see their eyes glazing over as I talk about the technical details of their problem (and suspect that some of them are actually asleep!). We're not like that - we want to be technologically literate, and are willing to take the time to learn.

I tell my customers that everyone is good at something. I'm good at computers, and jumping out of airplanes to blow stuff up - and the customers are good at what they do for a living.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:54 PM

It's marketplace pressure that causes this. Most people want the latest and greatest of everything - it's "Keep up with the Jones'" gone wild. Rapidly advancing technology causes rapidly advancing desires (which the rapidly advancing technology is capable of fulfilling).

Unfortunately, the majority of the purchasers of new hardware don't post to these forums, nor are they interested in doing so. Most people treat their PC like any other household appliance. If it breaks, either call the repairperson or buy a new one.

Face it, those of us who hang out here are the minority. We like to understand what's going on underneath the hood of Windows - and that's just not something that everyone wants to do. At work, when I get into explaining a problem to a customer, I can see their eyes glazing over as I talk about the technical details of their problem (and suspect that some of them are actually asleep!). We're not like that - we want to be technologically literate, and are willing to take the time to learn.

I tell my customers that everyone is good at something. I'm good at computers, and jumping out of airplanes to blow stuff up - and the customers are good at what they do for a living.

Good answer John! I run 5 PCs 2 xp laptops, SBS, 1 XP machine and Vista Ultimate. And Im always looking forward to getting back on to my Vista machine.
MCP
MSDST

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

See this is why I love Ubuntu. It has a continue cycle support period of 18 months, and they come out with a new version every 6 months. It's nice to know when they release something new, but it's not a whole new O/S to the point where you have to dig just to find something simple liking printing a test page or such. With Vista they revamped the entire kernal, location and functionality of the O/S hoping it would help customers.

I do believe XP should be saved, because it is easier to tweak and fix networking, printing, and installation problems. Every time I am in the recreation room at my college and someone cannot connect to the Wifi and I end up helping them, usually it's almost impossible to fix errors because of Vista's forced GUI solution. Printing is the worst with Vista, it's almost impossible to manually remove a driver for a printer (through the device manager) let a lone finding the files manually and deleting them just to fix a bad install of drivers. I would love to XP last longer, but I think Vista should be scrapped and another O/S by Microsoft should come out. Vista is the new Windows ME.

Edited by yano, 29 January 2008 - 12:37 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

Just my opinion here, but XP's easier to use because we're used to it. After another 3 years we'll be used to Vista. Underneath the hood it's not all that different from XP.

The same marketing pressure that generates a new "version" every couple of years also generates the new feature set. But the same thing applies there also - they're adding stuff for everyone, not just for those of us who use these forums. So, the OS will get cluttered with stuff in an effort to satisfy everyone - which makes it more difficult on those of us who work underneath the hood.

I hope that the press releases about Windows 7 are true - and that the kernel will be redesigned to be much more compact. But that remains to be seen.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

If Microsoft went on with this (If they dis-continued XP) it would be the worst choice they have ever made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users