Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxette

Tuxette

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:04 AM

I am using a desktop PC with Windows XP. My internet provider, AOL, needed to install some new installation files yesterday to which I agreed and then told me the system needed to be restarted. Now it won't boot up and I get the message "NTLDR is missing". I have tried various things. I've checked the BIOS and this appears as it should be. I tried to use the Windows XP recovery disc and boot from the CD-ROM but this only brings up the same message. In other words I am not able to boot from the hard drive or the CD drive.
Anyone experienced this problem? Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:21 AM

Is your CD-ROM the first device in the boot order, if it's not make make it so, if it isn't the first device in the boot order you can't boot from the CD. If you change the boot order and it does boot from the CD then you have a software issue, if it doesn't then you have a hardware issue.

Have you tried to do a Last known good configuration?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Tuxette

Tuxette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

Thank you for a quick reply.

I made the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order by changing the BIOS but still got the same error message when it tried to load from the CD. I suppose this means a hardware problem?

How do I do a 'last known good configuration' if I can't get past this NTLDR message?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:29 AM

To better understand the complexity of the problem, please read: CH000465 NTLDR is missing - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Louis

#5 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

This could be a hardware problem however do these checks first.
Go into your BIOS again and make sure your Hard Drive and CD-ROM are listed. If either are missing power down your PC remove the left side panel and unplug and replace the IDE cable from the back of the device and motherboard. Unplug and replace the power leads as well.
Power up and re-check the BIOS.
Then re-check in the advanced tab the CD-ROM is listed as the first boot device (you may not have saved the change).
On the second screen on reboot it will say at the bottom "Boot from CD" while it reads the disc and then "press any key to boot from CD".

Once you have done this you will get a screen saying that is scanning or checking your PC/system.

Eventually you will get to a screen asking you what you want to do ie, use the recovery console or install a fresh version of XP.

If you do not know how to use the recovery console chose install fresh install!!

We are not about to lose all your files at this point. After agreeing to everything in the next few screens a scan will be done for previous versions of XP on your PC. Once that is done you will be given the option to repair the previous version. Choose that!(press the R key)

Hope this helps you with your problem.

Pip

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

In the event that you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, please read this link before proceeding: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry692141
Then, here's a link on how to do a repair install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

CAVEAT: Backup your critical files first!!! Although the repair install is not supposed to affect your data, you shouldn't take the chance of losing it when it could have been avoided by a simple backup. (This also comes in handy if the repair install doesn't fix the problem and you then decide to proceed with a clean install of Windows)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users