Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after removal of MS Office XP from WIN ME System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

Hi All ,

I am on a WIN ME system( build 4.90.3000 ) and usually use Opera 7.54 u2 (do have IE 6.0.2800.1106 duly updated also) with McAfee AV 8.0 and Kerio PFW 2.1.5.

I recently removed 'Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page' from my system since it was causing various problems including opening context menus. The problems have now disappeared and computer speed seems to have improved. However this has led to following issues :

1. After every booting , with the appearance of desktop icons the following ' Error starting Program " msg also appears :

A REQUIRED .DLL FILE , MSSWS.DLL WAS NOT FOUND

On OK-ing the above the system continues to ,seemingly , operate as usual.I would like to know more about this and what can be done to resolve it.

2. With the removal of the OFFICE XP program , the MS WORD as well as EXCEL have also gone. I would also like to have the opinion of forum members about the possible freeware alternatives to MS Word/Excel as i understand that many such programs are now available.

thanks in advance.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:23 PM

Hi Yogi. Congrats on the Office removal but sorry about the missing dll annoyance. I searched and searched but couldn't find anything definitive regarding the MSSWS.DLL except that you can replace it - for a price. I am guessing that it goes with the MS Word that was eliminated with the Office removal. But I can't be sure since I have MS Word on my system (and I have the disk as well) and I can't find the mssws.dll using a Search. Maybe someone else is aware of this particular dll file and can shed some light.

For alternatives to MS Word or Excel, click here for free downloads of your choice. Be sure that whatever you select comes with easy removal capabilities so that we aren't in trouble again.

Have you done a Search for the mssws file?

When you click Start>Programs do you see Word or Office XP or Excel or anything that came with the Office XP? Whenever you get a message upon booting saying a dll file or something else is missing or corrupt, it means that upon booting, that program loads and/or runs and it can't run properly with that file missing. I'm sure you figured that out but I'm curious as to why these issues begin at Startup when I thought we went through MSCONFIG once before. Try checking Start>Programs>StartUp and Start>Programs>Disabled StartUp Items. Let us know if anything is showing in either of those places.

I wish I could be of more help here. Hopefully, Leurgy and Megaman will see this and can give us some input.

#3 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hi Angel,

1. I googled for the DLL and did obtain a freely available copy from the following site :

http://pacosdrivers.com/dllresults.asp

2. However I dont think it is required now since , during the interim period , the DLL msg has stopped coming after i had uninstalled some of the programs lying unused for quite some time.MS WORD definitely does not appear to be the culprit in this case.

3. Meanwhile I have unloaded and installed PC SUITE 602 - replacement of WORD/EXCEL.This does not look very promising but will have to do till i get something better.

4. Pal , I think you may be quite a bit aware of my systen by now and are best suited to answer this one : though my system seems to be working better than ever , i think it may be better if reinstall and start with a clean slate.If at all I decide to change-which WIN OS would be better. I am told to go for either XP Prof or WIN 98.

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, Yogi, for the update.

I am one of many who love WinME and wouldn't change it or update it. If you have the disks to do a total restore (which will return the computer to the manufactured state at the time of original purchase), that would be fine to do. I don't want you to be discouraged by your recent complications so much that you would give up WinME. You couldn't go to Win98 which is 'downgrading' and not upgrading. To give up WinME, you'd have to go to WinXP, 2000, NT, or 2003. Chances are, you don't have the space to go to WinXP. I am not familiar enough with the others to say much. Win98 and Win98SE (Second Edition) were great and you can think of WinME as a 'part 3' or 'part 2' to Win98. From all the research I did since I became involved in your posts, I can assure you the problem is not WinME. The issues were because of Office XP. You will want to save all of your favorite programs/files/folders/data onto disk prior to recovery if you choose to do that. It's easy to do. The only thing you want to be sure of is that the programs that you have for security are effective in detecting any virus or other threat. If you were to save onto disk a program that is infected with anything, your problems will begin once again. That would negate any 'fresh start' or 'clean slate'.
A very long story short (if it's not too late, :thumbsup: ), I'd like for you to keep WinME. It's fine to do the restore which probably should have been done as soon as you got the computer from your friend. Personally, I wouldn't want any of the junk that a previous owner had. In fact, when I sold my IBM computer a few years ago, I did a total restore with the disks. I'm not a fan of WinXP. It's a huge hog of stuff you will never need or use. It takes up an enormous amount of space and is difficult to use and understand. My brother has it and hates it. Too complicated. And I'm not just saying all this because I'm blonde, lol. Feel free to ask for advice from others but that is my opinion and I appreciate you for thinking enough of me to ask for it.
Let me know what you do decide and I'll help if you need it.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:29 AM

602 Suite is OK, but personally, I prefer OpenOffice.org. A new version soon to be published will have a database application (see the news article on our home page)
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:03 PM

Hi Angel & All Others,

Right . I go in for reinstall of ME and plan to repartition before that , on following lines:

1. Primary C drive - Windows & certain essentials required to be here for proper functioning-10 GB

2. D - all programs & other documents unloaded from the net to be parked here essentially alongwith various types of temporary files which require regular deletion- 5 GB

3. E - all programs to be installed here-10 GB

4. F- all data files of permanent or near permanent nature to be here - balance space i.e about 15 GB

Would have liked to have a separate Swap File on a partition of its own but am informed that this should be on the primary partition of another drive otherwise may actually decrease performance instead of improving it . thus plan to put it on the E drive .

Any quick comments on the above or any other aspects to look out for while on the job.

Angel - I know I am way off the topic but post here for continuity . feel free to shift wherever suitable.

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:15 PM

Hi Yogi, you are doing fine. There is no problem with any of your posts and you can shift the topic as you wish. :thumbsup:

So you will be using the disks to do a system recovery now, is that right?

The way I understand things is that C is usually the main drive. Windows and windows functions, general downloads and installations, added software, and such are all done and found here on the C drive.

If you have a 2nd hard drive, it is often called D. Any additional things can be stored here. It is often the drive with the larger amount of space on it.

Personally, my E drive is the CD drive. My F drive is the DVD drive. And of course, my A drive is the 3.5 floppy drive. But this is my system, yours and others may differ. But the first 2 I mentioned above (C and D drives) are the norm.

A total recovery/restore done via the recovery disks, as you know, will return the system back to its beginnings when it was set by the manufacturer and placed on the market for sale. IF you do not have all of the recovery disks, see that you get them. Many computers (older than XP that I know about) also come with the Windows disk, drivers disk, and applications disk. This all differs depending on the company and system type.

I will wait to hear back from you on how things are going. A fresh start is going to be very nice.

#8 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:48 PM

1. You are of course right , in my present system also 'C' contains whatever you have said . But while doing some research on the subject I find it logical to follow some of the advice in the following articles:

http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/swap.html
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/partitions.html

and have restricted this only to windows and some essentials

2. Since I dont have a second drive , I have named my 2nd partition as 'D'. The purpose of the programs and other net unloads being here is my habit of experimentation - frequent editing/deletion of docs and programs (and ofcourse it was this which has landed me in all this problem - the only silver lining and worth the problem is getting to know nice people like yourself and others ).These frequent changes lead to fragmentation and it is to restrict this that all these alongwith temporary files are being parked here so that the "fragmentation contagion " does not spread . Big words - i do hope I have understood correctly and making sense.

3. On my system the CD Drive is 'G' and ofcourse the floppy is on 'A' .

:thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users