Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Hangs When I Insert Usb External Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alantrini

Alantrini

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

Hi
I have a problem.
I usually back up my data regularly on an external USB Hardrive.
Recently I switched from Norton AV 2008 to NOD32 Antivirus.

I tried today to plug in my Ext Hardrive and I notices the Computer Hangs and the cursor changed to an hour glass and that I cant access anything , No explorer, not even alt+ctrl+del to see what is not responding.
Only a reboot wud start it back up. and when this tim I treid to plug it in from the front USB of the PC...it did recognised a USB device but shortly after Hanged again.
I first thought it was the NOD32 A/V so I disabled it.
I restarted again and it did the same thing...Hung again after inserting the USB Hardirve.
So I rebooted again and did a complete Virus scan and all report came up clean.
I tried going into control Panel and Device manager and it said that all USB were working fine, I hit alt+ctrl+del to see the Taskmanger and opening Explorer.... But when I plugged in the Ext Hardive Taskmanger show COntrol Panel "Not responding" and XP hung once again with the Hour glass...and Explorer did not show the Ext drive.

I really need to access the USB Ext H/drive since I have valuable data on it that I need to retrieve.
Prior to swirching from Norton to NOD32, the USB Ext H/Drive Worked fine.
Im Running Win XP SP2, The motherboard is a MSI K9, with 4 USB port built on in the back and 2 USB connections in the front., AMD 3200 64bit, 1 Gb RAM.
Please let me know if u need anymore info.

What can possibly be wrong?

Thanks in advance....for any help rendered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:45 AM

Does the drive show up in My Computer? Does your external enclosure have its own power supply? How many devices do you have plugged into the USB ports?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Alantrini

Alantrini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

No it doesnt, .............I dont have any devices hooked up to the USB port all are free.
However when I plug in other devices such as Printer scanner camera etc , they all work fine.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

Er...no it doesn't show up in the Device Manager, or no it doesn't have its own power supply? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

Can you remove the hard drive from the USB enclosure?

If so, then I suggest testing by just (temporarily) connecting the drive to an IDE cable connection.

I seem to recall (from the days I used a USB enclosure with an IDE hard drive) that a drive which needs to have chkdsk /r or defrag (or both) run on it...would produce somewhat similar symptoms when attached via a USB enclosure. Once I removed the drive and attached it directly to the system...and performed proper maintenance, the problem would disappear.

When you attempt to attach the drive...is the hard drive activity light flashing?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users