Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Boots In Master/slave Mode, But Not By Itself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 irrumator11

irrumator11

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

- I currently have two hard drives inside my computer, one is 120GB and the other is 250GB. Both are Western Digital. Both have Windows installed.
- When both hard drives are connected, with the 250GB as master, and the 120GB as slave, everything is hunky dory and works fine. However, since I don't really need the second hard drive, I want to disconnect it. That's where I run into problems.
- If I disconnect the 120GB drive, by unplugging the power plug and the ribbon cable, and then try to boot up the computer, I get the dreaded black screen with "No operating system found." Moreover, in the BIOS, there is no hard drive present at all.
- I tried playing around with the jumper settings on the 250GB drive - didn't help. I tried connecting the 120GB drive alone - that works fine, and boots up Windows.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

Are you certain about which drive is master? It sounds like your OS is on the 120gb drive. Since it boots up fine there is your OS. If you really want to get rid of the smaller drive, I would suggest you make sure that the large drive is jumpered master, disconnect the smaller drive, install your OS from scratch onto the large drive and then reconnect the smaller drive as a slave and transfer whatever files you need moved over.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 26 January 2008 - 03:54 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

Some drives have a jumper "Master with no slave present" You could also try Cable Select
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 irrumator11

irrumator11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

I tried playing around with the jumpers - no matter if it's set to master, or to "cable select" and plugged into the end of the ribbon cable - the computer still fails to recognize it when it's the only drive connected. If the 250 drive is connected either as master or as slave with the 120 drive, it shows up in the BIOS and everything is fine. If the 250 drive is connected by itself, it does not show up in the BIOS, and I can't do a fresh install of Windows on it, since the WinXP CD helpfully notifies me that I don't have a hard drive present.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

IDE cables go bad also, just like anything else. I had one a couple of years ago.

Have you tried a different one?

Louis

#6 irrumator11

irrumator11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

I have not tried a different IDE cable, however...
if I use the same IDE cable to connect the 120gb drive only, it works fine. The cable also works fine if I connect both drives. Could it be that the cable refuses to work with the 250gb drive alone?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

As dumb as it sounds, I would try a new cable. They are inexpensive
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users