Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing My Mobo, Need Help...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KoreRat

KoreRat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

My system is fried and all signs point to the MoBo. So I'm getting a new one, but not 100% if this one will work.

This is what I have(that Media Card Reader is not really important and not needed to be added to the new MoBo.

This is the new MoBo I'm looking at.

Will this work?

Alos I am putting this into a new ATX Mid Tower with a 500w PSU.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Not sure what you are asking.

Are you intending on using memory from your old...in the new?

Same question for processor?

Some info on cases: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:dnsVx...;cd=3&gl=us

Louis

#3 KoreRat

KoreRat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

I have a stock Gateway system and the MoBo died on it. So I have to get a new one, but I'm keeping all the old parts to it. I just need to know if the MoBo I have picked out will work with the Processor, Hard Drive, Memory, etc. I also have an old Dynex ATX Mid Tower with 500w PSU that I figure I'll use instead of the Gateway tower.

Edited by KoreRat, 25 January 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

Double check that you have an AM2 processor. Your memory will work but you can run faster. Everything else will work just fine. The new board only has 1 IDE channel but since the only thing using it is your DVD R/W drive this shouldn't be a problem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 KoreRat

KoreRat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

It's a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, 64-bit dual core processor, is that a AM2? And when you say faster are you talking about uping the RAM, I plan to do that later. Also, what else, as far as upgrades, use IDE? Incase I might decide to make those upgrades one day.

Thanks a lot for your help.

#6 KoreRat

KoreRat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:26 AM

Judging by this article I found, it is an AM2, this is backed up by the DDR2 RAM.

#7 KoreRat

KoreRat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

Well, I hope it works because I just bought it.....

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

AM2 is the socket design for the processor and as you have found out it is a AM2. As for the memory it means that you can upgrade to faster memory meaning the speed that the computer talks to the memory at. Your memory should work just fine.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 KoreRat

KoreRat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Sweetness, thanks for all your help!

#10 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:05 AM

Buy a new computer. would be alot better. I wouldnt fix up one that has a mobo that dies. Mobos that die can take other components with it. You wont know thats the real problem them you try but I wouldnt do it myself. I have no problems with working on computers. i build new ones but I wouldnt replace a mobo on a used computer

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

Why wouldn't you repair a perfectly good computer? Replacing a motherboard is allot cheaper then building a new one. A computer isn't outdated until it no longer does what you bought it to do, whether its broke, or not.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Sneakycyber, 01 February 2008 - 03:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 KoreRat

KoreRat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:32 AM

So I replaced the MoBo, and added a Video Card(since the old MoBo had one intergrated, and I hated that) and it still didn't work. Then I bought a new Processor, and it still didn't work. So I disconnected everything, and pluged it all in one at a time. Wouldn't you know, it was the hard drive, how I'm not sure. But it would turn on everytime I tried, until I plugged the harddrive in. I feel like an idiot for not having done that in the first place. But now I have an almost custom built system, new case, new power source, new mobo, new processor, new video card, and new hard drive. The only thing left from the old system is the DVD burner and RAM.

Edited by KoreRat, 02 February 2008 - 01:33 AM.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

Unfortunatly you found out the hard way that its more expensive to plug and pray when replacing parts, rather then testing them with a known good system. Glad you got it working though, and you have a new system now :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users