Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer OS Doesn't see all HD's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dsljohn

dsljohn

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:00 PM

Solved .... Hard drive not seen by XP OS, but is by Bios

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In piecing together a computer, I am using a AOPEN MX 46 Motherboard, and a Celeron 2 GHZ CPU and 512 MB of Ram. I am ruinning XP Professional, and I want to have 3 hard drives and 1 CD/rw in the Case.
The Problem I am having is, during post, the Bios sees all 3 HD drives, Device Manager sees all 3 HD Drives, but if you go look in Explorer it shows only 2 of the drives. Then, if you go back into Device Manager, and click on each drive 1 at a time and display properties, the XP HD shows it is on Channel 0, drive 0. And One of the other drives shows the same thing. Well, both can't be 0/0. I had the 2 extra 120 GB hard drives on cable selelct, so I set one to master and the other to slave. I got the same result.
The 2 extra drives are cabled into the blue socket on the motherboard, which I believe to be channel 0, and the black socket to be channel 1, which is what the XP drive is cabled to.
What do I need to check or change to get all 3 HD Drives to work, and the CD/RW together? Or is this a motherboard issue? Thanks for you help in solving this headache for me.

Edited by dsljohn, 07 March 2005 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

Take a look under Control Panel - Administrative tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk management - and take a look at the status of each drive. If you can see your system board detect the drives at start up, and device manager lists them all, it is probably something in the way XP is managing things.

What does the disk management section say?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:45 PM

I would try cabling the XP hard drive to the blue connector on the motherboard. Then run the other two HDs to the black connector on the motherboard. After that is accomplished fire pc back up and see if HDs are now at proper configuration.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:39 PM

I agre with hays. I have 3 HDs on my system, and my IDE1 Connection has the OS Drive on as Master, and the CD-RW on as Slave. The IDE2 has the two extra drives as master/slave. What is the HD manufacturer? I'd double check your jumper settings on all the drives.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 dsljohn

dsljohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:08 PM

WinXP Fat32 C: Partioin Basic Fat32 Healthy Disk 0
ALso, under device manager it shows this drive:
Location 0 (0)

Under Disk Management it shows:

Drive C: Fat32 Partion Basic Fat32 Healthy Disk1
Also, under Device Manager it shows this drive:
Location 0 (0)

Now what I see is that both drives can not be Location 0 (0), so their is something creating a problem here. Is it a software bug in XP Professional, a Motherboard problem, or some other cause? It has got me confused.

I plan on converting the XP Fat 32 into a NTFS as I work things out down the road.

THe CD\RW is shown in Device manager as:
Location 1 (1). It is plugged into the middle of the same cable which feeds to the problem drive which shows location 0 (0). THe CDRW works fine. I have unplugged it, and the second HD still reports the same thing in Device Manager and Disk Manager.

The problem drive is a Seagate 120 GB with an 8 MB buffer....what is called an enhanced drive.

All drives are formatted and have operating systems on them. THe XP drive is the new drive, which I do want to boot to, so I have NTFS for video editing. But, at times I want a multi-boot system to my old drives because of older printer and scanner that run on ME.
THe 2 older drives both have ME and I have been using a multi-boot system, Boot Magic on them for 2 years. But now I want to add the XP as my primary OS, and still be able to boot to either of the older drives.
I have set the jumpers on all drives according to the legend on them, they all are 120 GB drives, 2 are Maxtor and the 1 that is not seen at the moment is a Seagate. THe system does boot to the XP system, but the OS fails to see the Seagate drive correctly (Win Explorer).
Both of these drives worked fine until I installed the drive with XP on it. So, is the problem the drive, the configuration, the motherboard?

#6 dsljohn

dsljohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:59 AM

Good New...!!! I figured it out. I loaded Partition Magic 8 onto the XP drive and rebooted and looked at the Partitions on the 2 drives, and the drive I uold not access was a hidden partition. So, I unhid it and rebooted and it came up in XP and I was able to access it and view it, delete files, anything I wanted.
Thanks for your help and your replies.... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users