Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragging Vista Business

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

I have Vista Business and although there is supposed to be a built-in defrag program, when I try to run it ( Drive-->properties-->defrag) it tells me it's not installed & that I need to go to the Control Panel & follow the prompts to install it. However, when I go to the Control Panel I can find no way to actually FIND, let alone INSTALL the built-in defrag.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if there's a good free download for Vista Biz that I can use for defragging.

Thanks in advance,

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hi SubMariner, try opening a command prompt and type in defrag.exe it should give you a list of parameters to choose from. I can't say I have heard of defrag not been installed before.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

In Control Panel, click on "Classic View", then go to "Performance Information and Tools", then to "Advanced Tools" - Disk Defragmenter should be near the bottom of the list there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:58 AM

In Control Panel, click on "Classic View", then go to "Performance Information and Tools", then to "Advanced Tools" - Disk Defragmenter should be near the bottom of the list there.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I was able to access Performance Info & Tools (etc.) & the disk defrag with no problems. :huh:

However, it was still odd that when did the method I described in my original post that defrag was unavailable to me. How weird is that? :huh:

Gracias,
=SubMariner=

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Sounds like something is busted in the interface that launches the defrag. No idea of what it is tho'. You may want to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to see if it can pickup something.

When I go to Drive...Properties...Tools tab...Defrag - it launches the dratted interface also.

FWIW - you can also go to Start and type in "dfrgui.exe" to launch the interface manually.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

Sounds like something is busted in the interface that launches the defrag. No idea of what it is tho'. You may want to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to see if it can pickup something.

Naww... As long as the method you mentioned works, I'm not going to bother. I'm just a YOOSER. ;)

When I go to Drive...Properties...Tools tab...Defrag - it launches the dratted interface also.

FWIW - you can also go to Start and type in "dfrgui.exe" to launch the interface manually.

Good to know it's not one of those "it's only YOU" problems. ;) Thanks!
=SubMariner=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users