Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wga Validation Tool Not Working Anymore!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hi all,
About an hour ago I encountered a problem with WGA. I beleive the ActiveX in IE was corrupted so I deleted it and re-downloaded it now everything works fine in IE but firefox is a different kettle of fish. I downloaded the WGA tool and ran it but it wouldn't give me a code. I AM using genuine windows XP Home edition (lol if I got it pirated I'd go for pro). What the heck is going on? Anyone?
Posted Image

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Have you tried Uninstaling firefox and re installing it, It could be a problem with the system as opposed to the browser, are activex controls allowed to run in the Internet zones?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Ok it gets stranger...

I ran and downloaded the tool over and over again but after running CCleaner for the first time in months and rebooting I get a different message telling me that the tool was to old and I should download a new one - I just downloaded that one!. Something about it could not check system time or like that :thumbsup:

The ActiveX from Microsoft Download Center only works in IE doesn't it?

Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Microsoft programs are concerned only with Microsoft products, in this case Windows. IE is a part of Windows, Firefox is not.

I was wondering why you were inquiring about Firefox and WGA :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Tomo2

Tomo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

This is the tool you are prompted to download if you use firefox. Anyway after downloading it time after time it now seems to work. Since that start all I've done is run CCleaner twice. must be some registry problem or temp files...

Posted Image

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

You could be right, also thinking back, the tool you are using does expire quite quickly. Either way, glad it worked.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

BC doesn't recommend the use of Registry Cleaning tools (even the one in CCleaner) because of the numerous problems that they can (and usually do) cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

WGA and Firefox don't work together. Any updates should be done through IE (easier if automatic updates are set). These will be the "real time" updates. If however you don't want to use IE you can go to Windiz updates which runs a few days behind and install via Firefox.

Please note you still must have a legit OS if it's a pirate it still won't work!

Edited by Pippincp, 26 January 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

If WGA works fine in IE and not in Firefox - then I'd suspect that Firefox has an issue.

You can download a new copy of Firefox and see if installing it fixes the issue.
If it doesn't, then you can:
- backup your bookmarks
- uninstall Firefox
- delete the Firefox directories in Program Files AND in your profile
- reinstall the newly downloaded Firefox
- import your bookmarks
- try the WGA tool
- THEN reinstall your add-ons/extensions
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users