Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display/theme Problem

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Pollen

Pollen

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi,

I'm currently having some problems with the way parts of Internet Explorer are displayed as well as the restart, shut down and stand-by icons. For the Internet Explorer problem, I have tried to reset it to the defaults by going to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset, but nothing changed. It is hard to explain this without a picture so I am providing a link where I print screened what the problem is: http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/42321/200...23502191_rs.jpg
See, the top of my browser always looks strange like that and I can't seem to fix it. I'm using my brother's old computer and he did something (and regrets it, ultimately) to make it do this, but now he can't change it back. As for the restart, shut down and stand-by icons it looks like this: http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/41041/200...33180834_rs.jpg
I haven't tried doing anything to fix that yet because I have no idea where to start with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to have the normal Windows XP Theme without any weird glitches! Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hello,

It looks like it has had a skin istalled. Try right clicking on the desktop then selecting properties thenchange the theme to windows xp.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

I tried that, and nothing changed :( I also can't seem to locate the skin files anywhere on the computer; it doesn't help that I don't know what the file names are because my brother doesn't remember. I hope there's a way to get everything back to normal!

Edited by Pollen, 25 January 2008 - 04:53 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

That is unusual, If you go to control panel in add/remove programs can you see an entry called stardock, That might be causing you the trouble. Also, if you look in the notification area near the clock, can you see any icons that are unusual?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

When I went to control panel>programs, I didn't see Stardock listed. However, I did a search for it on my computer and found it on my C:/ hard drive. There aren't any unusual icons in the system tray. What should I do to Stardock? What is it, and should I get rid of it to make everything normal again?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Ok thats good, dont delete anything yet, We need more information before acting.

Bring up the taskmanager, (ctrl+alt+del) search the list for SDMCP.exe is it there?

Also, can you list the names of the icons in the notification area, hover over them.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

I don't see it... and the notification area, do you mean the tray in the taskbar?

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Yes, The icons next to the clock, I'm just trying to determine if a third party product has altered the theme. If so it will be running in the taskmanager and/or have an icon next to the clock.

If not then this is a deeper problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Yeah there's nothing unusual next to the clock, I have the battery meter, the volume, and the windows security alerts. Oh no I hope it's not too deep of a problem. I wish my brother didn't try to change the theme in the first place!

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

Ok you say there are security alerts? Can you give some more information? Also, what security products are you using? antivirus/antispyware/firewall?
Regards,

Alan.

#11 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

When I double click the security alerts, it says the firewall is on, automatic updates are on, virus protection says out of date?

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Ok, But what security products are you using?
Regards,

Alan.

#13 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

I think it's Symantec Antivirus

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

Ok, just to rule out the possibility of malware, I would recommend that you submit a hijack this log http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
When you right clicked on the desktop and selected properties, did the window that came up say modified theme? and what happens when you select windows xp then apply? do you recieve a popup saying please wait?
Regards,

Alan.

#15 Pollen

Pollen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

When I right click and go to properties, it says Windows XP as the current theme. When I click apply, it does say please wait. So should I submit this to the hijack forum? :\ I hope that's not the case! And what about StarDock? Does that have to do with anything? When I looked inside the Stardock folders, I saw some Apple-like icons, and my brother did say that he tried to change the theme of the PC to look more like a Mac (I don't know why!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users