Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dgbeeby

dgbeeby

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi there,

I recently did something which was pretty silly and purchased a HP computer from Ebay with out really being able to check it. the specs are as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:EOIBSA:GB:1123

I have since purchased a 22" samsung monitor and windows vista 64

Everything seemed to be ok as it all installed ok. After a short while of using the computer though it froze out and i had to shut it down to start again.

at first i thought I was that I need to activate windows but after doing that it continued to freeze at what seems to be completely random times so then thought i must be missing some drivers. So next i went online and found what drivers i could but i was limited from the HP web site as they didnt have some vista compatible stuff. I finally concluded that i think it must be my hardware that the issue so i ran some memory tests but it said all was ok (although im not sure if they were that conclusive).

therer were other issues like he stated that there was 500gb of hard drive but i can only find 250gb.

Anyway i'm just wondering if you could please help me with my problem or maybe give a few tests to see were excatly my problem is?

Thanks for any help you can give.

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Have you any idea whether your motherboard supports 64-bit? For a typical installation 32-bit is fine but if you care to install it in 64-bit, you may have hardware issues as well as some software issues.

Ahh, I see it is AMD so 64-bit is no problem. You may still have software issues, depending on what you are trying to run.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 25 January 2008 - 04:19 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

No provision for a warranty...return of unacceptable goods, etc.?

No way to resolve the information you are missing...by direct contact with whomever sold you this system?

Louis

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

The first thing I would check is to see if the unit is overheating. Look inside the case for large amounts of dust build up. If there is check out this tutorial. Next look for any malfunctioning or non functioning fans. Also following the advise of rigacci check for compatibility of the components in the computer with a 64 bit OS. If you need help identifying what is installed in the computer you can use SIW, Or PcWizard. Then check for driver compatibility.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 dgbeeby

dgbeeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

Hi there thanks for all your contributions so far.

I have opened up the computer and had a good look around inside. I couldn't find any dust build up anywhewre but i didn't expect any really due to it being relatively new and all the fans seem to be working fine (there are 3 fans- one over the processor chip, one on the back of the computer case and one on the graphics card). I then downloaded PC wizard which does seem extremely comprehensive and a really useful tool, although i don't really know how best to use it. The temperatures it says are:

Processor Temperature : 37 C
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 38 C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 38 C
Mainboard Temperature : 55 C
Power/Aux Temperature : 38 C

GPU Temperature : 50 C
GPU Diode : 50.9 C

Hard Disk Temperature WDC WD2500JS-60MHB1 : 42 C
Hard Disk Temperature WDC WD2500JS-60MHB1 : 39 C

Now i'm not sure if these are good or bad but it doesnt seem to hot to me.

The other thing i did notice when looking under the case was a loose connection for the missing hard drive i spoke about so i reconnected it. after doing so and rebooting the computer did install the new drive although it says that i have 3 hard drives which are:

1) local disk © 185gb of 232gb used
2) XXXXXXXXABA 33mb of 49mb
3) XXXXXXXXABA 33mb of 49mb

But when i ran PC wizard again it recognizes that i have 2 x 250gb hard drives.

I'm just wondering now, how do i know which driver are and aren't compatible using pc wizard and what to do about it?
also is there anything i can do so that i get the full useage of both hard drives?

oh one final thing i did forget to mention was that although the computer freezes randomly all the time it does also freeze everytime i try to run Windows media CENTRE from the start menu ( although it has workred ok when i put a DVD straight in and it auto loads up). Windows media PLAYER works fine all the time.

I would really appreciate any help you could send me.

Thanks again

David

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

In pc wizard under system information it will tell you what hardware you have installed. The video card for example. You will need to check for the 64 bit drivers for them. You should check for drivers for the graphics, sound, and Network adapters. Also all of the software you have installed needs to be 64bit compatible if its not it won't run correctly.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 dgbeeby

dgbeeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

Thanks again for your help.

I think i know what the problem is now as i have been surfing the net, searching for any resolution i can.

I stumbled apon this forum whilst searching through google that has someone who had the exact same predicament a me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_post...thread_id=92036

He had the same computer and specs and had found the problem to be a conflict between the sound card and the motherboard.

in one of the responses it leads you to the HP site below to download an update that resolves the problem

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...1443&os=228

The only thing is the download dosen't work on my computer as it is only available for XP!!

So now i'm kinda stuck again unless anyone else has any suggestions as to where i could find this same update but for VISTA 64??

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you greatly for any suggestions you can send my way

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users