Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant Share Devices

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deper

deper

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

a windows installation keeps apearing on my screen, then a loading bar apears and gets about half done and then stops. i believe it came in with a free spyware check (which you need to buy to make it work) and i can't get rid of it now. does any one have any ideas as how to stop it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

What is the name of the free spyware check program?

#3 deper

deper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

spybot, it has a black icon for your shortcut

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

Are you sure it's Spybot? Spybot is a freeware program-it isn't a scan to find problems then purchase to fix problems program. Also, Spybot does not have a black shortcut icon.
On this page http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html on the right side under products you will see the listing for Spybot - Search & Destroy v. 1.5.1, and next to it the what the shortcut icon looks like. (Spybot Search & Destroy is the actual program name)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 January 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

Post the link you used to download this "spybot" program, please. That should be interesting.

Louis

#6 deper

deper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

i went and looked at spybot, my mistake, but i do know it had a black icon with the word spy(along with something else). that much i do remember. it was late when i was doing this. i downloaded it and regcure and was looking at both of them and decided on regcure and after i got rid of the other (spy ?) is when this windows install thing showed up. now that i'm aware of my misquote i will continue to look for the spy ? but i will still need help with the other thing that i talked about as regcure is not getting rid of it, any help would be appreciated. thanks for bringing this to my attention

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

Deper, When mentioned 'windows installation' - what do you mean? Installation of what?

You didn't mention whether Spybot S&D ran and what it found. In any case, just for starters,

Please download the free home version of SAS, run it and update definitions.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Also download free a-squared, run it, update definitions.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Disconnect from the internet. Turn off your Antivirus, and any other anti-malware if possible.

Scan your computer with both. If anything is detected, the experts can take it from here.

It sounds to me like you have something on the system that shouldn't run. The scanners I mentioned might see it. If they don't there are many other tools the experts will suggest.

What system do you have? Windows? Vista? At some point you will need to mention those. And you maybe asked to run HijackThis.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

Please...you need to provide concise, accurate information on whatever it is that you are trying to tell us about.

You tell us that it appears on your screen...but you don't take the time to see what it is and inform us exactly what appears on your screen.

In my world, when I want help for a given situation that I deem problematical...I try to provide accurate info on what I perceive. I'm sure that all of us would appreciate it if you can do the same.

What is this "windows installation" you refer to? Since you deem it a problem, I assume that is appears anytime you boot, which means that it should be readable.

What website provided this "free spyware check"? Various forms of malware disguise themselves as anti-malware programs...various websites install adware on your system when you visit them and do what it appears that you did...click buttons without considering the possible negative consequences.

The members and visitors here at the forum...are willing to try to help those with real problems, seeking real solutions. But all of us need more info than you have provided thus far...if any of us are to truly help.

Louis

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

Is there ANY information in the loading bar that would help identify what is trying to load/install?
Have you looked in Add/Remove programs to see if the spy whatever has installed? If it's just a scanner, it may not be an installed program, but it won't hurt to look. Usually these types of things don't install themselves just for a scan-they then try to hook you into buying it by using scare tactics telling you that your system is infected and the only way to cure it is to purchase their program.
You could also go to start/run, type in msconfig. Startup tab-look at the checked entries, there might be something there that tells you what the program name is.

Since you are not sure what the program is, and since as Hamluis mentioned, a lot of those types of programs are malware themselves, I suggest you do the following:

Read the information

HERE:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you have performed some of them already, then just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will include downloading and using the most current version of HijackThis if the first line of your log does not appear as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

The log should be posted in

HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Please DO NOT post your log to this topic, or post a log in the wrong forum.

Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck.
The BC Staff

#10 deper

deper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

after reading all the replys this morning, i installed superantispyware and Asquare, ran both programs. SAS found (1) malware.Spydawn, (2)trojan.media-codec and (4) unclassified.spywarebot. i wonder if the spydawn or the spywarebot is the one in question? i followed instructions for sas and rebooted, then installed Asquare and ran it, it found nothing, but i rebooted anyway(everything that i turned off would start again). nothing has reappeared. i believe that what you have recommended has done the trick. i will look at the other things that you said to look at about hijacking as i need to understand it a little better. thank you for your help and my operating system is windows xp

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

You need to make absolutely sure that spydawn is removed from your computer.
Fortunately, here at Bleeping Computer, Grinler has posted details on removal, which can be found

HERE- How To Remove Spydawn (removal Instructions)

There is also an explanation of what spydawn is.

I'm not familiar with spywarebot, someone else will have to weigh in on it.

Please consider running Hijack This and posting a log for the experts to look at.
You need to be 100% sure that your computer is free of malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users