Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Problems

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 darkrose

darkrose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

i have a new computer{not even a month old} and i have the worst downloading times almost as slow as dial-up. i connect to the internet using my samsung modem on my phone.cellular broadband.anyway, does anyone know why my download speeds are so bad? could it be the modem is just really slow or something that i'm missing on the computer? it takes hours to download a 23.1mb file. afterthought; i can't watch youtube video's at all,it takes forever to load the information to watch a video.any info would be helpful,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hello,
have you tried an online speed test? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=
What speed should you be recieving from your ISP?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

yes,I've tried a speed test-22kb per second download and 24kb upload. i don't think those numbers are very good.i was told that samsung makes bad modems all around.i'm going to keep playing with it-maybe adjust the properties on the modem? if i can do that,how do i get into the modem properties?

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

So are you using your Samsung cellular phone as your modem?
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

if your getting your brodband down a cell phone then there's your problem, if you had 8meg connection & your pc was a top spec computer then the speeds would be the same as you have now,,,,, the bottle neck is the cell phone,,, broadband works best with a copper cable & fiber optic cable,,,,ie hard wiered phone lines.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

So are you using your Samsung cellular phone as your modem?

yes,I'm using my samsung cellular phone as a modem-i was told that motorola phones make the best modems.my dad uses a motorola phone as a modem and his download speeds are very fast.

#7 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

if your getting your brodband down a cell phone then there's your problem, if you had 8meg connection & your pc was a top spec computer then the speeds would be the same as you have now,,,,, the bottle neck is the cell phone,,, broadband works best with a copper cable & fiber optic cable,,,,ie hard wiered phone lines.

the only reason i went with cellular broadband is because i would have to add another line and the set-up is out of my range at the moment. is there anything i can do? would a download acelerator help my download speeds?

Edited by darkrose, 26 January 2008 - 12:27 PM.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

A download manager breaks up the file and downloads the file from different sources, using one would help, but only slightly. Probably the best way to describe it would be a bottle filled with liquid, turned upside down the liquid flowing out will be limited by the neck.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

A download manager breaks up the file and downloads the file from different sources, using one would help, but only slightly. Probably the best way to describe it would be a bottle filled with liquid, turned upside down the liquid flowing out will be limited by the neck.

that's what it feels like. maybe it will get better as i use the computer more-i was told that the computer has to learn-is that true? thank you for the help, i really appreciate it.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

It is true in a sence that computers learn; they use a process called prefetching which stores recently used information so that the system can load a program into memory. an example of this would be that the first time you load a media player it will take (depending on a lot of things) 4-5 seconds, the computer remembers what you have done sothe next time you load the player it will load it it 2-3 seconds.

This is really a balancing act as after a while the prefetcher is swamped with information that it will probably never need and will need to be cleaned. some people may disagree with this though.

Even so, your internet speed is mainly down to the ISP and connection medium.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

It is true in a sence that computers learn; they use a process called prefetching which stores recently used information so that the system can load a program into memory. an example of this would be that the first time you load a media player it will take (depending on a lot of things) 4-5 seconds, the computer remembers what you have done sothe next time you load the player it will load it it 2-3 seconds.

This is really a balancing act as after a while the prefetcher is swamped with information that it will probably never need and will need to be cleaned. some people may disagree with this though.

Even so, your internet speed is mainly down to the ISP and connection medium.

thank you very much. i made a change in set programs and defaults and my internet time has speeded up a lot. :thumbsup: what i wanted to say is when i made the adjustment my programs seemed to run smoother and easier. before i made the adjustment it was set on custom-i changed it to windows and i've seen an improvement overall. downloading is still slow and watching video's is a puzzle- i can start watching them but only after 10 or 11 seconds it stops and that's it-any ideas there?

Edited by darkrose, 28 January 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

When you are watching videos online, they need to be streamed to your system, because usually the files are so large, this takes a long time. If you are watching on youtube, there will be a faint red bar slowly going accross the player controlls, this is how much data it has recieved. The problem you are having is that the the information being recieved is slower than the speed it is playing. It would be that you are trying to view an incomplete file.
When the data first starts to arrive, press pause. then allow it some time to recieve the file, then press play. Because your connection speed is slow, it wont be suitable for video viewing.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

Trust me, patience is the key with slow internet. Try downloading iTunes + quicktime which is a 56MB download and my top download speed for it was 3KBs. You do the math.

If you want to watch you tube videos though. may I suggest downloading them? Just get yourself a FLV player, use a youtube downloading site and you're good to go.

Thats what I do.
Like I said though, patience is the key :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#14 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

Trust me, patience is the key with slow internet. Try downloading iTunes + quicktime which is a 56MB download and my top download speed for it was 3KBs. You do the math.

If you want to watch you tube videos though. may I suggest downloading them? Just get yourself a FLV player, use a youtube downloading site and you're good to go.

Thats what I do.
Like I said though, patience is the key :flowers:

thank you.i was downloading yesterday and i was getting up to 5.6 kb per second- my usual speed is 2.9kb. i will survive! :thumbsup:

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

Have you tried onspeed, I haven't heard of this for a long time, and it was not freeware, If i recall years ago, this could be used to compress the files and so on and speed up a dial up connection considerably. I have never tried it, and have no idea how good it is. but it may be worth a look.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users