Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rom Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cujimmy

cujimmy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:58 AM

Hi All. As you can see, this is my first post and I'm not very expert, so please forgive me if this is too much of a ramble.

My CD drive has stopped working. I can see the drive on Windows Explorer, but if I click on it I get the error message

"D:\ is not accessible.

Incorrect Function."

I'm sure this is a problem with iTunes as it's cropped up just after I installed it. I also get the following Warning Message when I open iTunes

"The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes."

As far as I know i haven't installed any other CD software. I've reinstalled iTunes and it's made no difference: I also deleted the upper and lower filter values in the registry using the regedt32.exe editor (as recommended on this and other sites) and, although this seemed to work the first time I did it, the problem is now back again.

Can anyone help??!?

Edited by cujimmy, 25 January 2008 - 07:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

From what I see...it's (probably) a software driver conflict.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;315350

I would uninstall iTunes (temporarily)...all of it (files and registry entries)...and then run chkdsk...reboot and see if the drive works.

I didn't read the MS recommendations but I would say that should give you some idea of what to do.

What version of iTunes did you try to install?

Louis

#3 cujimmy

cujimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Thanks, Louis, for the prompt response.

I've just upgraded iTunes to version 7.6, which I believe is the latest. It seems to have sorted the Warning Message, and an audio CD seems to play OK now.

I'll persist with it for now and see if there's any further issues...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

Well done...upgrading software is one of the cures mentioned frequently. Happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users