Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp's Built-in Firewall

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

I haven't read about any compatibility issues with ZA and Kaspersky.

Ive actually had ZA with McAfee and no problem. Same with Trend Micro and AVAST.
ZoneAlarm is a pretty good firewall though. So I hope (for you) it works with Kaspersky :thumbsup:

Yeah, ZA is a pretty good one, but when installing Kaspersky, this program asked me to uninstall ZoneAlarm :flowers: .
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

(Please, before considering my name as some kind of offense, take note that in my country---a Spanish-speaking one---it is not, it's just a man name, and it's pronounced differently).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

Is Kaspersky a security suite? Or just the AV?

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#18 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:39 AM

Is Kaspersky a security suite? Or just the AV?

Just anti-virus trial edition.
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

(Please, before considering my name as some kind of offense, take note that in my country---a Spanish-speaking one---it is not, it's just a man name, and it's pronounced differently).

#19 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:45 AM

I don't understand.. so did you manage to get ZA installed?

#20 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:08 AM

I don't understand.. so did you manage to get ZA installed?

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. No, I didn't, I had to uninstall ZoneAlarm. This is the story:
  • I had ZoneAlarm Free Firewall installed.
  • I had AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition installed.
  • Then I removed AVG...
  • I installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus (30 days trial)
  • When installing KAV, a window appeared: "You must uninstall these programs in order for KAV to work". The only one in the list was ZoneAlarm Firewall.
  • I uninstalled ZA.
So that's how thing went. Now I'm running on Windows built-in firewall. That's why I asked if it was reliable and what other free firewall may I run along with KAV. However, it seems that no one :thumbsup:

Regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#21 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

That is unususual

You should consider reading this: Zone Alarm FREE V7 clashes with Kaspersky AV

#22 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

That is unususual

You should consider reading this: Zone Alarm FREE V7 clashes with Kaspersky AV

You're a genius, man!! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! :flowers:
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#23 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:57 AM

Not a problem :thumbsup:

#24 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

Ive actually had ZA with McAfee and no problem. Same with Trend Micro and AVAST.
ZoneAlarm is a pretty good firewall though. So I hope (for you) it works with Kaspersky :thumbsup:

Here's a link talking about the compatibility issue with Kaspersky and the latest version 7 of ZA and the phantom suite buried in ZA free
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=74677

#25 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

Here's a link talking about the compatibility issue with Kaspersky and the latest version 7 of ZA and the phantom suite buried in ZA free
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=74677

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

Actually I tried: I downloaded ZA 6.5.737 version, but it doesn't run. Windows says: "This is not a valid Win32 application". What might be happening? I tried to download the file again, but although I delete it and remove it from Firefox downloaded objects, it just copies itself in my target directory (instead of downloading).

Regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#26 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hi,

Actually I tried: I downloaded ZA 6.5.737 version, but it doesn't run. Windows says: "This is not a valid Win32 application". What might be happening? I tried to download the file again, but although I delete it and remove it from Firefox downloaded objects, it just copies itself in my target directory (instead of downloading).

Regards,

UPDATE

Ok, finally I downloaded the file correctly, but when trying to run it, this message appears:

An external application must be launched to handle file: links.

Requested link:

file:///C:/Documents&and&Settings/Kike/My&Documents/Received/zlsSetup_65_737_000_en.exe

Application: file

If you were not expecting this request, it may be an attempt to exploit a weakness in that other program. Cancel this request unless you are sure it is not malicious".

The dialog box offers two possibilities: Launch Application and Cancel.

Why is this happening and what is the better thing to do?
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#27 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

Regards,

UPDATE

Ok, finally I downloaded the file correctly, but when trying to run it, this message appears:

An external application must be launched to handle file: links.

Requested link:

file:///C:/Documents&and&Settings/Kike/My&Documents/Received/zlsSetup_65_737_000_en.exe

Application: file

If you were not expecting this request, it may be an attempt to exploit a weakness in that other program. Cancel this request unless you are sure it is not malicious".

The dialog box offers two possibilities: Launch Application and Cancel.

Why is this happening and what is the better thing to do?

Hi,
Zone alarm downloads from their site work best with IE6 or IE7 - the zone alarm forum is littered with examples of corrupted downloads using firefox. Also, can't tell if you are a dialup user, if you are best not to use a download manager or web accelerator -again causes corrupt downloads according to za site Also make sure the size of the file you are downloading is what you get

#28 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

You're welcome :thumbsup:

These links may be helpful to you

New, easier uninstall Zone Alarm instructions
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...;message.id=103

Zone Alarm Installation guide
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=75616

#29 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hi,
Zone alarm downloads from their site work best with IE6 or IE7 - the zone alarm forum is littered with examples of corrupted downloads using firefox. Also, can't tell if you are a dialup user, if you are best not to use a download manager or web accelerator -again causes corrupt downloads according to za site Also make sure the size of the file you are downloading is what you get

Hi,

I tried by downloading it using IE 7.0. However, it still can't run. The same notification keeps appearing: "zlsSetup_65_737_000_en.exe is not a valid win32 application". And it doesn't run :thumbsup:

Regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#30 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

Hi,

I tried by downloading it using IE 7.0. However, it still can't run. The same notification keeps appearing: "zlsSetup_65_737_000_en.exe is not a valid win32 application". And it doesn't run :thumbsup:

Regards,

Hi,
You are still getting a corrupted file error - did you uninstall the firefox za download? before you downloaded with ie? Try uninstalling, redownload and then reinstall

New, easier uninstall Zone Alarm instructions
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...;message.id=103

Redownload za

Zone Alarm Installation guide
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=75616

:flowers: tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users