Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp's Built-in Firewall

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Kike G.

Kike G.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Hi, there,

What do you, guys, think about Windows XP's built firewall? Is it reliable? Is it good enough?

Regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

(Please, before considering my name as some kind of offense, take note that in my country---a Spanish-speaking one---it is not, it's just a man name, and it's pronounced differently).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Windows Firewall is okay but it only provides inbound protection. It is recommended you have a firewall with outbound protection. There are plenty of free firewalls that provide this :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

Those firewalls are located here...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by 1Bart, 25 January 2008 - 04:08 AM.

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

I agree with Teenage Zombie's comment and I would recommend Comodo or Zone Alarm because they tend to have the most features for a free firewall program. Also with these two you don't have to register after thirty days to continue using the free edition and they have several customizable options/features as well. I currently use Comodo in conjuction with AVG Antivirus (Free edition) and it works great---doesn't bog down your CPU when running in the background either!
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#5 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

I agree with Teenage Zombie's comment and I would recommend Comodo or Zone Alarm because they tend to have the most features for a free firewall program. Also with these two you don't have to register after thirty days to continue using the free edition and they have several customizable options/features as well. I currently use Comodo in conjuction with AVG Antivirus (Free edition) and it works great---doesn't bog down your CPU when running in the background either!

Hi, Rittnasty,

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I used to have ZoneAlarm installed. However, since I changed from AVG Free Edition Anti-Virus to Kaspersky Anti-Virus, I had to uninstall it, for Kaspersky can't run along with ZoneAlarm. Do you know if Comodo has the same problem interacting with Kaspersky?

Thanks,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

(Please, before considering my name as some kind of offense, take note that in my country---a Spanish-speaking one---it is not, it's just a man name, and it's pronounced differently).

#6 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

Kike...I have heard about some issues with compatability between Comodo and Kaspersky. Specifically, I have read that some people say that Comodo kept recognizing Kaspersky as an invader. But if you add Kaspersky to Comodo's safe zone and vice versa then they both should allow the other to run without interference. The only thing that you need to be careful about with Comodo is how high you set the security settings in your preferences...you can pick and choose what you want Comodo to monitor, so it really isn't that big of a problem. Btw, I am using the free edition of Comodo, so I don't know what the full version includes and if it runs any differently.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#7 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

Kike...I have heard about some issues with compatability between Comodo and Kaspersky. Specifically, I have read that some people say that Comodo kept recognizing Kaspersky as an invader. But if you add Kaspersky to Comodo's safe zone and vice versa then they both should allow the other to run without interference. The only thing that you need to be careful about with Comodo is how high you set the security settings in your preferences...you can pick and choose what you want Comodo to monitor, so it really isn't that big of a problem. Btw, I am using the free edition of Comodo, so I don't know what the full version includes and if it runs any differently.

Thanks for the advice, Ritt. Well, it seems that our friend Kaspersky is a little bit of exclusivist, huh? :thumbsup:

Best regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#8 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Glad to help, have a great day! :thumbsup:

Thoughtvent.com

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

The Windows XP firewall protects against port scanning but has limitations and it is no replacement for a robust 3rd-party two-way personal firewall.
  • The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XP’s firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.
  • The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls.
  • Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.
    • This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.
  • By default, Windows Firewall rejects all incoming traffic unless that traffic is in response to a previous outgoing request. If you're running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. If you Firewall is not turned on by default, then your using an unpatched OS and need to update your system to SP2.
If you choose to use a 3rd-party firewall, you need to disable the Windows firewall. Using two software firewalls on a single computer could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction. For more information see "The Differences and Features of Hardware & Software Firewalls".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the advice, Quietman. Then my question would be, based on what I stated before: what freeware firewalls are compatible with Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#11 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:09 AM

Quote,
"Btw, I am using the free edition of Comodo, so I don't know what the full version includes and if it runs any differently."

The free version is the full version. Comodo have promised to give the best available Firewall for free for ever.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Yes as mentioned above Comodo Personal is the free (for life). Also their BOClean antispyware tool is free.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 Kike G.

Kike G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

Yes as mentioned above Comodo Personal is the free (for life). Also their BOClean antispyware tool is free.

That's nice to hear. However, is Comodo compatible with Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Regards,
Kike G.
(Lima, Peru)

#14 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

You can run Zone Alarm free firewall with Kaspersky AV just not the latest version 7 which has a "phantom" security suite buried in it with Kaspersky AV engine.

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

I haven't read about any compatibility issues with ZA and Kaspersky.

Ive actually had ZA with McAfee and no problem. Same with Trend Micro and AVAST.
ZoneAlarm is a pretty good firewall though. So I hope (for you) it works with Kaspersky :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users