Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xps 200 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

alrighty ive been working on a friend of mines dell xps 20 and its having some technichal difficulties.......she took it to a repair shop and they told her that the mother board needed to be replaced....so i did so and still no joy so i also replaced the cpu and once again still no joy... could this be a power supply problem because i know that when you change ur mobo that you should change ur ps...the system led flashes every 4 secs repetidly without having to be turned on.....it automatically flashes....ne suggestions would be helpful..i also ordered a pice of ram to justify that the ram modules are not fried....should be here in a couple days........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

What kinds of technical difficulties?

Did you do a clean install of the O/S?

Does the system boot into XP? If so, did you take a look in Event Viewer for clues?

Did you temporarily swap out the PS...to eliminate/confirm the idea that it was blameworthy?

Did you check the connections between the motherboard and the case panel?

I've not ever heard of changing a PS just because some other component was changed...

Louis

#3 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

Well when it was first taken to the repair shop it was that the whole system would not boot up no screen, no nothing, not even a sound of the hard drive kicking in. just a flashing light on the indicator led on the front of the system. now i still have the same flashing led, after i replaced the mobo and cpu, i have not erased the hard drive yet but will do so later on when i start working on it again. the system will not boot at all just a flashing green light and i checked the manuals from dell and it could either be a processor failure or a memory failure according to the flashing lights, but i rulled out the cpu at least i hope when i reinstalled a new one. Now with this system my friend had a different computer plugged into the same outlet and the same problem happened i think it could have been a power surge... or a short in the wires in her wall that caused a surge, that might of fried out the memory. do you concur or am i full of myself for false hope???

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

I always try the simple stuff first :flowers:. I have 3 working computers so it's easy for me to swap out parts for testing.

No POST, no BIOS beeps?

I would have first checked out the PS (by simply temporarily replacing it with a known good...and by putting the one from the system with problems in a known good system).

Satisfied that the PS either works or doesn't work...I would have moved on to the hard drive. Check connections, connect to known good system as a secondary drive, see if I can see files on the HD. If drive is good, reconnect.

Then, I would have removed the memory and reseated same, a stick at a time individually (later both). Try to boot. The chances of both sticks being bad at the same time, well I haven't experienced such yet.

If all of these yielded nothing, then I would (by default) conclude that the motherboard was shot. Only then would I think of replacing it.

I guess I have to ask...if a repair shop determined that the MB was bad, did they install the replacement? If so, is it not covered by some type of warranty?

Did the system perform properly after taking it to a shop? Ever?

Was there evidence of power to any of the fans? To me, it's inconsequential if I see lights, those usually don't draw much compared to the rest of the system. The only thing a flashing light would indicate to me is that...some part of the motherboard is functioning or there would not be enough power to create the flashing light.

This is out of my league...better wait for the persons who deal with this sort of thing every day and who donate time to this forum :thumbsup:. Have a little patience.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

What motherboard and CPU did you replace it with? Please be specific. Did you use thermal compound when attaching the heat sink to the CPU?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

Dell Dimension Xps 200 5150c Motherboard
Item Code: MB4DELMF252
Manufacturers: Dell Computers
Model MF252
Categories: Intel Lga775 Motherboards

Description

This Weeks Special! Dell Dimension XPS 200 / 5150C Motherboard. Dell Part# MF252 - Featuring Intel Chipset LGA775. The Intel board harnesses the advanced computing power of the latest Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology.

These boards are Intel made boards for Dell, so you will see a Dell logo come up when booted. All boards are fully guaranteed and come with warranty. This board is compatible to the Dell Dimension XPS 200 / 5150C system's only.

Manufacturer: Intel ( OEM for Dell Dimension XPS 200 and 5150C )
Dell Compatible Part#: MF252 0MF252
Socket: LGA775
Expansion Slots: PCI Express x16 x 1 / PCI Express x1 x 1
Other Features: Hyper-Threading Technology Support
Connectors: (5) USB 2.0 Ports, (1) Firewire (1) S/PDIF 10/100/1000 LAN
Peripheral Interface: (2) Serial ATA (SATA) Interface
Other: One IDE Channel Supporting ATA-66/100/133 and One Floppy Port
Video: 1X16 PCI Express Slot and Onboard Video
Audio: 5.1 Surround Sound Audio System
Supported Memory: DDR2
Maximum Memory: 4 Dual Channel DIMM Support for up to 4 GB of memory

Intel Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor

i ordered a new piece of ram for it because i have no way to tell if its the ram thats shot all my other build computers take 184 pin delll used 240 4 this model

i wiped one of my hard drives and installed it and still i have the same symptoms...on this model dell installed 4 diagnostic lights for servicing when something goes wrong. these arent even lighting up. im not getting any power to any f the fans ad no drives are kicking in all i get is the powere led flashing nothing else....its rele starting to piss me off...oh and yes sir i did use thermal paste when i installed the cpu.....

#7 NTom

NTom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:03 PM

I know this is little too late but I think the problem is in the front panel with a broken power push button. That's what happen in my case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users