Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

I read that when I reply to someone via email, that they can see what my IP address is by looking at 'properties' of the email. I checked, and yes, my IP address shows.

Question: If someone has my IP address, are there programs out there that will let them check up on my internet activity? That will list for them what sites I visited? They know what browser I used, my email address, my name, (in the "from" line of the email), and my IP address.

I am just curious how much someone could find out.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

That will list for them what sites I visited? They know what browser I used, my email address, my name, (in the "from" line of the email), and my IP address.

The only way that they could do that is if they are on the same network as you are, or if they happen to won a server that you connect through, like at you Internet Service Provider. I shouldn't say that is the only way. If you happen to get infected with spyware or something due to running an unpatched system, no anti-virus/firewall, etc, then they very well could spy on what you are doing.

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:51 AM

That will list for them what sites I visited? They know what browser I used, my email address, my name, (in the "from" line of the email), and my IP address.

The only way that they could do that is if they are on the same network as you are, or if they happen to won a server that you connect through, like at you Internet Service Provider. I shouldn't say that is the only way. If you happen to get infected with spyware or something due to running an unpatched system, no anti-virus/firewall, etc, then they very well could spy on what you are doing.

Ok, thanks. I doubt they own a server my ISP goes through, and we are not on the same network. Since I frequently download MSFT updates, and have a firewall/anti-virus/anti spyware, I should be okay. I guess the important thing is to keep all up-to-date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users