Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

I have a AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+, ~2.4GHz processor
I was just wondering if its normal for it to be at 994MHz
Whenever I do something it goes up to 2300MHz and the cpu usage goes up

Is this normal activity?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Is this a laptop or a desktop (make and model would help)?
What are you using to determine the 2 different figures?
If it's a laptop, are they different when it's plugged in and when it's on battery power?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

hp desktop a1330n
I was using System Spec to view the info

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

http://www.alexnolan.net/software/sysspec.htm
I've used his tools before, but not this particular one.

Which screens in particular show these results? My system shows 2.39 or 2.40 gHz for my Intel chip in Vista (just downloaded it)
Dunno if there'll be different results with an AMD processor.
I'm wondering if it may be a bug, try running CPU-Z (free from here: http://www.cpuid.com/ ) to double check the results.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

I checked with the CPU-Z, and it showed 995.0MHz as my core speed

When should you replace your processor?

Edited by Master_Shake, 26 January 2008 - 07:36 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

Depending on the exact model of processor and if its enabled. This is a feature called Cool'n'Quite developed by AMD it throttles the CPU down when its not under load this reduces power consumption and heat dissipation saving energy. Link To AMD

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'm so sorry, I forgot a couple days ago I downloaded that.
Still wanna know when you should replace your processor.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

Still wanna know when you should replace your processor.

Usually a processor has a 10-15 year lifespan, depending on operating environment. Then it starts failing and you will have to replace it. On the other hand, most people replace their processor when they aren't satisfied with the performance anymore, and how often that is depends very much on the person in question.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

By the time you get down to troubleshooting the processor as a part of a problem you'll have already spent enough for a new system. At that level of troubleshooting you're down to replacing parts - and how many of us have a spare motherboard and processor laying around to test with? And that's after trying other replacement parts to isolate the problem.

As Mr Alpha says - it's time to replace it when you're not satisfied with it anymore.

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

Even on my desktop my CPu use to do that, Cool'nQuiet does that. Since AMD CPU's multipliers are locked upwards, but it's not locked downwards. I never noticed a performance issue or difference from having it off or on. Just annoying when you install something and it says you only have a 998Mhz CPU and it's not powerful enough for games

This is the little utility from AMd that I used to take it off, just install it, when it's on the task tray and choose to take off power savings. AMD Utility
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users