Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd-r Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 revan1013

revan1013

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hi all I just burned some data onto a CD-R and now it is totally unreadable. It either does not come up at all, or is read as "empty" when it clearly isn't.

Any idea as to how I can fix this? Is it possible the CD didn't "close" correctly? Can I mine the data out?

I had to do this because of a virus and now the data exists SOLELY on these CD-Rs... I'm desperate

Please help,

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hello

Can you read the CDs of another system?
What authoring software did you use? there is a chance that the disc hasn't been finalised and the data can be recovered.
It has been known to happen that the software will say disc done and eject it, only to find that it hasn't done it and you have a blank CD still.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 revan1013

revan1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

It can read other CDs yes.

I used a cd-data-recovery program and it shows the files are present, but that they appeared to have been deleted. I guess the virus did that. I need the info on these discs but I have no idea what else I can do to recover the data. I used copy-paste for some, and the Windows Backup program for the others.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

The only way that you can copy/paste to a CD-R...would be to employ a packetj-writing program...and a CD-RW, not a CD-R :thumbsup:.

Otherwise, files must be burned on a CD-R, using some burn program.

And...the Windows backup does not record directly to CD. But files can be burned to a CD indirectly, with the backup being made to a hard drive and then burning files from the hard drive to CD media.

Soooo...exactly how did you copy/paste these files and/or burn them?

Louis

#5 Kixx025

Kixx025

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

First, make sure that your system is now clean of viruses, malware, spyware, etc.
Then, load the CD using your cd writing software, that is in case the writing process was not finalised.

Check also for visible physical damage to the cd. Besides from scratches, you can view the disk against the light to see if it still is solid and no spots.

#6 revan1013

revan1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

The only way that you can copy/paste to a CD-R...would be to employ a packetj-writing program...and a CD-RW, not a CD-R :thumbsup:.

Otherwise, files must be burned on a CD-R, using some burn program.

And...the Windows backup does not record directly to CD. But files can be burned to a CD indirectly, with the backup being made to a hard drive and then burning files from the hard drive to CD media.

Soooo...exactly how did you copy/paste these files and/or burn them?

Louis

Well then that explains the problem with Windows Backup, even though I specified it to burn onto the CD-R. Weird.

I just copy pasted and it said it was working... I should've figured that it wouldn't work that easily, maybe it was the virus messing with the computer. Either way I saw it writing the data, and on the physical disk I can see that it was written on. I couldn't get anything to copy or paste earlier, but that day it was working so I rushed to get it all onto the disk.

#7 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

Well then that explains the problem with Windows Backup, even though I specified it to burn onto the CD-R. Weird.

OOPs! CD-R = CD Read

CD-RW = CD Read/Write.

You can't burn to a CD-R so not a wierd outcome really.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

You may have burned something...what program did you use to do this burn?

I can look it up and have a better idea of what did or did not happen?

Louis

#9 revan1013

revan1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Well I didn't actually "burn" it I suppose. But I copy-pasted the data onto the CD-R and it seemed to work. Keep in mind nothing else on the computer was really working so I was desperate enough to not realize the strangeness of it all. I also used Windows Backup and specified it to write onto the CD-R, which also seemed to work.

(also... if I took the cds to say, Best Buy or something, would they be able to mine the data out for me? and would they charge a lot?)

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

If you just copied and pasted the files to the disc and then removed the disc, the files would not have been saved. The only way to get the files would be to find them on the original PC.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 revan1013

revan1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to reinstall Roxio on my previously-infected computer and voila! the files showed up... strangely enough. I don't get it, I wasn't using Roxio to copy stuff onto the CDs when I did... oh well.

Thanks again for all the help :thumbsup:

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Glad it worked,
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic