Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Dos

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tiara

Tiara

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

This may be a really stupid question but how do I get into the command prompt thing? Im not a computer genious by any means but Im trying to fix a "will not boot" problem and have another post all about it. Its just that almost everything I read to test or check my hard drive or OS says to "type in this, type in that" but I cant get anywhere to type in anything. Ive tried googling it to find out but even when I think Ive found somewhere that will explain it to me it will say something like... "click here, or push F5 or F8 on start up and then click here and do this" but none of these options work for me. Am I all alone?? :'( lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Did you ever run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the disk...as previously suggested?

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm

There is no DOS in XP. There is the Recovery Console and the command prompt, which employ some similar/same commands...but not all. If you use Google and type "no DOS" as the search string, you will see what I mean.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2008 - 06:13 PM.

#3 Tiara

Tiara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hi there and thanks for replying... I did run the diagnostics that come up by pressing F12 but after aboiut 5 hours of testing the same error msg came up and kept asking if I wanted to continue testing anyway.. the errors were IRQ timeout errors. I'm in the process now of doing the diagnostics with the Dell Resource CD and I'll post in my other post when its done. And because there is no MSDOS thingy is there anywhere else other then with the XP cd, as it wont run, that I can get to that will let me type anyhting in? Thanks again!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

IMO...you are just wasting time doing the "diagnostics" you are doing...when manufacturer's hard drive diag is the best one to use.

Louis

#5 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:20 AM

Dell? Ctrl+F11 to system reset and format your C: and you'll get the old good OS back...if you need to do it :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#6 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

To answer your first question about the command prompt do this:

Start > Run > type CMD

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:23 AM

Just to add a bit here....if you go to Start...Run...and type in "command" (without the quotes) and press Enter you'll get a screen that states "Microsoft ® Windows DOS"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

...to add to John's comment :thumbsup: (I am now a bit confused): When I go Start/Run and type "cmd" (which I always thought was the same as typing the full word "command"...I get a screen that doesn't say "DOS" at all, just reflects MS Windows and the version.

Both give the command prompt but in slightly different form.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

I was led to understand that DOS was still present in XP and could be invoked by the command "command.exe" (as opposed to cmd.exe). The purpose (I suppose) was to provide some DOS support for older apps when upgrading - yet still be able to use the newer features of cmd.exe as the OS evolved.

Command.exe is referred to (around the web) as the command interpreter for Win9x systems - while the command interpreter in XP is referred to as cmd.exe. Way back when XP was new I remember having to use command.exe on a couple of occasions for particular DOS type problems with older applications (but, being old, can't remember the exact details! :thumbsup: Also, back then, there was a lot of argument about the Win 9x OS's being DOS based - and that Win2K and WinXP were going to be the systems that didn't rely on DOS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

Thanks, John :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users