Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Averatec Laptop Battery Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

My friend recently got a laptop as a gift because supposedly the screen got smashed and didn't work. Well he gets it and the screen only has a bad scratch on it but its still perfectly usable. Anyway, the only problem is that the battery isn't working right. When he first got the laptop he plugged it into the AC adapter and turned it on. It came on fine. After letting it charge for quite a while, he unplugs the cord and the laptop turns off, not standby or hibernate, totally off. So later he was telling me about this, and I told him to go to power management and then it said battery was 67% full. So he unplugs it and it stays on fine. To test it even more he turned the laptop off then on and it turned back on fine. So he leaves it plugged in all night and most of the day, comes back from school unplugs the cord, and it doesn't turn on. He turns it on using the AC adapter, and it says battery life is down to 3%. So we are both pretty much befuddled.

It's an Averatec 3700 series laptop. The guy said about a year old. It's a pretty basic laptop with 512mb ram, sempron processor, 60gb hard drive. My friend was thinking that the battery might of gotten messed up because it was shipped to North Carolina from Iraq. Is this true? The guy never said the battery was messed up.

EDIT: He says now its still plugged in and says 3%. The battery icon has an X going through it in power management. Every minute it will go from saying charging to not charging and vice versa. He said he took the battery out and put it back in too to make sure it was in right, and it is. We really appreciate any help!

Edited by Sterling14, 24 January 2008 - 06:00 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

It could be that the battery is dead (and nonchargeable) - or it could be that the connection between the battery and the AC adapter is broken.

To test it would require a new battery to see (I don't know of any places that will test the ability of a battery to take a charge). Maybe you could try a multimeter where the plugs plug into the battery (to see if current is reaching it from the AC adapter). Iraq will take a toll on a laptop - with the 130 temps and the constant blowing of sand.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply! Ok, I'll tell him to try a different battery in it or try its battery in a different laptop to test it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users