Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firewall blocking ftp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kmbergem

kmbergem

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:54 AM

After I installed Windows XP, SP2, the firewall has been blocking my ftp programs!
I have tried several once, but none of them are working unless I turn it off.

I have added all of the programs to the safe list in the firewall, but nothing seems to work.. and I have searched in google, but didn't find anything that could help me.

And clues?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

You probably have to open open up the ports which the program uses. See this Microsoft article for how to do this:Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
Post back with any further questions or problems.

Cheers.

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 kmbergem

kmbergem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

Have read that before and tried adding ports and the program to the safelist. I have both port 21 and 23 to the list.
It says I must add ftp-server? how do I do that?

#4 littlelat

littlelat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:31 AM

Im having exactly the same problem as kmbergem, tried all sorts and still no joy

HELP!

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

You only have to add Ftp Server to the list if you are running an Ftp Server on you computer that others can use to access you computer. Is that the case? If not and you are trying to ftp into someone else's computer are you using an ftp client? If so which one?

Cheers.

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#6 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

Why do you have a firewall in the first place. What is on your computer that is so important. For weeks now all I have been doing to blackice [firewall i thought i needed] is disableing its engine and app protection. about int security and keeping computer top notch. all you need are free scanner from online. thats it. firewalls are a pain in tha a$$. you can block yourself from goin online with it. i just havent gotten around to uninstalling blackice yet...but its on the way.

try disabling it now and see if that works. btw ... if some one wants to hak your comp... and they locat you online...they probably know more than enough to allow them to bypass wall. walls are only good for sensitive info...for oses that you dont use ftps on or games or anything but data storage. like financial institutions.

just get all the free scanners you can....and scan once a week. i highly doubt you need the firewall.

#7 kmbergem

kmbergem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:26 AM

OldTimer:

I am trying to use a ftp program to upload files to different servers I have.
I don't have myown server from my computer, no.

And I don't think I will shut off my firewall yet. And anyway the windows firewall keeps poping up anyway, so I'll just leave it on.

#8 littlelat

littlelat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:51 AM

Im all sorted now - I uninstalled McAfee Security suite and and tried to connect to ftp and it worked, so i then did trial and error and found it to be the Mcafee privacy service that was blocking it so I customised the install to do just spamkiller and virus scan and unchecked the firewall and privacy Service...

All works fine now like that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users