Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asrock K7VM2 + XP 2400

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caton_phil

caton_phil

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:03 AM

Help!
I have an Asrock K7VM2 mobo running with Amd Athlon XP 1700 cpu. I recently bought an AMD Athlon XP 2400 cpu, number AXDC2400DKV3C, which I am pretty sure is compatible with this board but it won't run. There doesn't seem to be much I can change in the way of clock multipliers etc on the board/bios so I assume it should just run. I have tried clearing CMOS but NO. The board powers up, fans etc, but no OS and no beeping. Can anyone shed some light on this or does it seem I ahve bought a bad CPU???
Thanks.
Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

From ASRock.com

http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7vm2.htm

They state that the processor should work.... Athlon XP, so the processor seems to fit.

In the cmos setup, does it recognize the 2400 processor at all?

Will it still work with the 1700 reinstalled?

May want to zip them an e-mail, just to make sure all is well with processor and system board.

Good Luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 caton_phil

caton_phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, I looked there an it appeared to me that it should work. I wasn't sure if I had overlooked something. Trouble is the board has nothing to set the cpu aprt from FSB which is at 133 and not 100. So I assumed it should do it automatically. My 1700 runs fine again in there. That runs on multiplier of 11. The 2400 should run at multiplier of 15. But as there are no jumpers to set (and nothing to set in BIOS) I assumed it must do it automatically.
I have tried clearing CMOS but with that CPU in it doesn't even get to a stage where you can go into bios. As I say, the board powers, fans etc, but screen stays black and no beeping.
I am sending CPU back as I am fairly sure now it must be duff.
Phil

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:54 PM

I looked at the manual, and saw that for the most part, everything is automatic. But, just for grins, plug the 1700 back in and make sure that you don't have your board hard set to run the 1700. It should be under the advanced tab. look at the cpu host freq and make sure it says auto.

The givens are the board works... and everything else associated with it. You have proven that with the 1700 working.

Worth a shot....

If that doesn't do it, my best guess would be a bad out of box cpu. As always, use static handling precautions when working with ESD sensitive devices.

Rigel

Edited by rigelslight, 06 March 2005 - 05:56 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users