Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Scroll Button Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Recently my mouse has begun to act weird. Whenever im in a browser, opera, firefox, IE, and i scroll in the page with the mouse, it goes back a page in the browser. I've looked everywhere and can't find any option in my mouse properties that would allow me too change this. Please, this is one of the most annoying things that has ever happened to my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

-Ben

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

If it's a cordless mouse, check if the batteries need to be replaced.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Compu-tar

Compu-tar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

Nope didn't change anything.....replaced the batteries with fresh ones. Still the same problem.
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Do you have a mouse which has buttons on the side which can be used for going backwards and forwards? If so are you accidentally hitting the back button on the mouse?

#5 Compu-tar

Compu-tar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

My mouse has no side buttons. Im sure of when i scroll it goes back a page.

Ben

#6 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

When you scroll, have you clicked on the page itself? Sometimes you might have the browser active and it'll work with the browser itself not the page it has loaded. So it'll move forward, backward and might move through the menus with your arrow keys, etc.
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#7 Compu-tar

Compu-tar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

Nope....thats not it. I think its some kind of setting with the mouse but i can't find any way to change it.

Ben

#8 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

In the bottom right of the taskbar by the clock area is there an icon for the mouse? Sometimes an after-market mouse might have some enhanced features you can adjust from there.

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

#9 Compu-tar

Compu-tar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:45 AM

their isn't any third party software for this mouse.....this problem is driving me insane!

Ben

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

Have you tried uninstalling the mouse in device manager. Then rebooting the machine and letting XP find new hardware and reinstalling the mouse? Just a thought.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Compu-tar

Compu-tar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I uninstalled my mouse and it reinstalled.....but now the scroll button doesn't do anything!

Ben

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

I recommend that you start a new topic in the External Hardware Forum about this issue.
In your post, please include a link to this topic, so the helpers there can see what steps have been taken.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users