Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I Buy A New Hard Drive And Reinstall Xp Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

or does the motherboard get infected also?

I can get a new harddrive and reinstall XP pro as long as the motherboard isnt infected also

does Windows still support XP pro updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

Yes unless it's a BIOS infection. Rare but not impossible. What is the malwares name?
Seems would be cheaper to remove the virus or fully format the existing drive then to replace it.
What antivirus and spyware tools are installed?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Depending on the make and model of your system, you may be able to restore the system with a key press. Or, you may be able to order restore CD's for less than $20 (US) and have them in 4 or 5 days.

Let us know the make and model of your system and we'll see what we can find out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 soimcrazy

soimcrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

Im running XP media

I have nortons but it expired about a moth ago

i just downloaded bitdefender and let that run. theres a few viruses it cant get rid of.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Run BitDefender again from safe mode. when it is done Click Press Here to view the results. Copy/paste that into your next reply.

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 soimcrazy

soimcrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:33 AM

i tried to boot up in safe mode but was unable to. it kept going back to starting up again, I tried all 3 of the safe modes ,no luck. then tried to start back up in regular mode and it wont start either....i'm screwed now !!

ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

I'm on my laptop for now

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

Hi soimcrazy,

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, You shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users