Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 evanse

evanse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

hello the other day my motherboard died i went through all the steps of checking it and it is for sure dead it was an asus mobo with athlon processor and 80gig harddrive ok now i have ordered a upgraded mobo becouse the one i had was discontinued ok now for my question could i install my xp on like say a one of those drives that plugs in usb port think itis called a zip drive and set my hard drive as a slave and recover all my important documents off it then format the harddrive and reinstall the os on it or am i just out of luck on all my things on it i have seen programs before that are suppost to be able to recover things off a formatted drive should i go that route any help would be app. ty evans

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

first maybe it was not your motherb maybe power supply?

second i think you can take the hard drive out of the old case and just plug it in the new motherb all the data should come with the os and everything in it.
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

I would do as suggested...just try it with the new motherboard and the old hard drive...before I made it any more difficult than it really is.

If problems then develop, they can be dealt with then, just post here.

Just be sure to load the drivers that come with the new motherboard...and then go into Device Manager and remove any indications of hardware installs that no longer pertain (onboard video, onboard sound, onboard modem, onboard NIC for the old motherboard).

One other consideration is ensuring that you have memory which is compatible with the new motherboard.

And, of course, there is reactivation.

Louis

#4 evanse

evanse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

well thelastleap i wish it was that simple just to replace the power center but i took it out and pluged it in an old computer i had and it worked fine i took the mobo out removed everything and never could get it to power up no beeps no fans or anything what really struck me oddly was the last time it started up my wife told me she hit the start button and nothing happened so she hit the reset button and it started that was the last time it done anything when she shut it down it wouldnt do nothing i have tried a new start switch resetting the bios put a new bios battery in it but it has a led power light on the board and it lights up when i switch the master switch on the power center on but i really do app. the thought and i would be happy to try anything you could think of to get it back up and running ty evans

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Wait...are you the one who told us that the motherboard is dead?

Are you now saying that you don't think it's dead?

If I'm not understanding, it's my Alzheimer's :flowers:. It's right on time :thumbsup:. Seriously, I would like a clarification.

Louis

#6 evanse

evanse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Louis, No I am not saying that the mother board is not dead, was just trying to explain what happen when it went down. The power supply is good, and the power switch is also good. So, all I was asking was how to install my new mother board without loosing what I already have on my harddrive. Thanks for any help.......Evans

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

This is a good link covering all aspects of such: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

This is a link from Intel: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm

Generally, advice consists of warnings and suggestions to do a clean install, after backing up various files. Programs would have to be reinstalled.

If it were me, I would do it the way I previously suggested, confident that I could eliminate the driver issues and confident that a repair install would take care of any possible registry problems. And I'm not afraid to do a clean install when I am wrong and have messed up my system.

But...you are not me and it's not my system, so I will provide you with guidance from those with more experience and knowledge.

Louis

#8 Kixx025

Kixx025

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

If I undrestand it correctly, you are replacing an old mobo with a new one. All other components are compatible (power supply, memory, HDD etc) and have no conflicts. Based on my experience with WXP, After you changed the mobo, the OS will try to load the compatible drivers to your new HW. If not it will ask for the correct one you need not to fresh install the OS. That is assuming that the initial loading of the device driver works for the optical drives.

Now for your data, if you did not perform disk formating or install from scratch, it will still be there. Just pay attention on the instructions and popup windows and what your PC is trying to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users