Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Cd Drivers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

Windows XP PC with Service pack 2, DVD-RAM drive and CD-ROM drive.
Eventlog says service couldn't start (will get the service name shortly, cdr something)
Device Manager gives both drives a Yellow Exclamation mark, and "Required driver file missing or corrupt" message under properties.

No drive letters assigned to drives, last software to be installed was removed, to no avail.

I tried re-applying SP2 by downloading it: de nada.
Though that a repair install should do the trick: Text modes setup was fine, then I got to GUI portion, I got a prompt asking for the XP CD-ROM, giving a prompt with the path "\GLOBALROOT\DEVICES\CDROM0" (I think)

Tried manually copying the CDROM.SYS file from the CD to hard drive using recovery console: nothing happened

In the end, had to use Linux to copy the i386 directory to the hard drive, then copy and paste (a lot of times) the pathe to the files on the hard drive into the CD prompt to finish the repair install.

I'm stumped. I've recommended that my customer back everything up so that I can do a clean install, but seeing as the driver files have beeen replaced (in theory twice), I'm not certain if it's a hardware problem, and if it is, what the problem can be.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron, I don't have the model number unfortunately, but the Dell website didn't list any drivers for the two drives.

So, anybody have any ideas? I realise that this isn't entirely a hardware problem. but it seemed more appropriate to post here.

Mayday!
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hmmm...have you tried physically removing one of the drives (at a time) and seeing that the BIOS properly recognizes the remaining?

Then boot into Windows and see what's reflected in Device Manager and Disk Management.

If one is OK, then connect/install the other.

I would go with the CD drive first, since that is the most basic.

I'd also check Event Viewer for any error messages about any drive.

Louis

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:43 AM

There is an error in the eventlog, something about cdr_(something) service could not start.
I don't have access to the PC atm, and can't find the piece of paper with the details on :thumbsup:. I assumed this error was related to the corrupt drivers.
With both drives in, they are both recognised by the bios, but will try your suggestion at next opportunity.

Any other suggestions still welcome.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

CD errors in the Event Viewer can be caused by a faulty CD drive, or by faulty drivers. Generally there are no drivers for your CD drive - rather the drivers are for the controller (on the motherboard) that controls the CD drive. To "fix" the drivers issue, download the latest version of the motherboard/chipset drivers for your system from the Dell support website and install them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tswsl1989

tswsl1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

Problem sorted, but thought I'd better explain how:

Tried updating the chipset drivers as per John's suggestion, but no joy.
Deleting Upper and lower filters in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
did the trick.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Tswsl1989

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

Glad to see that you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jbclark

jbclark

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

I used the same solution of deleting the Upper and Lower Filters under the Registry Entry as Tom.
I did notice that the entries in the Filter content was for CD hardware I do not have installed. Where these entries came from is anybody's guess.
Thank for the help.
Jim

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

Having done some digging, it seems that the Upper and Lower filter entries are for CD\DVD Burning software.

After this fix, it is necessary to reinstall all CD\DVD Burning software.
I'd advise installing one item at a time, rebooting between installs, in case one piece of software re-introduces the problem entries. By rebooting between installs, you can eliminate the previously installed software, and blame the last one to be installed.
Tom

Tswsl1989

#9 ahmo

ahmo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

I'm having the same problem, but my registry has a LowerFilters entry, but not an UpperFilters entry. there is an Upperfilters.bak

also, there is a LowerFilters.bak, LowerFilters_1, and LowerFilters_2. can I ignore those?

does one delete the Upper and Lower filters outright, or just the value data?

thanks

#10 tswsl1989

tswsl1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

UpperFilters.bak, LowerFilters.bak, Lowerfilters_1 etc are backups of the Upperfilters and lowerfilters entries made by software that you've installed.

My advice is to delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters entry outright. I also deleted the backup versions within the registry, but that's unnecessary.
Tom

Tswsl1989

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users