Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Are The Shutdown Icons Located In A Normal Installation Of Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Damaru

Damaru

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

I am trying to find the location(s) of the `Turn Off', `Restart', `Stand By', and `Hibernate' icons (as shown on the `Turn Off Computer' dialog), the `Switch User' and `Log Off' icons (as shown on the `Log Off' dialog), and the `Turn Off Computer' and `Log Off' icons (as shown on the Start menu).

I've already checked the shell32.dll file and have performed a thorough search of all files and folders on my computer for files with the `.ico' extension (including hidden files and folders) - all without success.

Anybody have a clue?

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 25 January 2008 - 04:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

I think that you mean...you want to find the parents of those icons.

An icon is nothing but a shortcut for any executable.

http://ask-leo.com/i_have_multiple_winlogo...at_do_i_do.html

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

They're located in one of the system DLL's in the System32 folder (Can't recall which one offhand). I though it was shell32.dll, but could be mistaken. Try a free icon viewer to see them: http://www.cosmin.com/iconviewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

Hi Louis,

I don't really know what the word `parent' means in this context, but what I'm looking for are the .ico files which correspond to the icons that appear on the above-mentioned menus and dialogs. If the word `parent' refers to these files, then yes, that's what I'm looking for.

John,

Regarding your Icon Viewer recommendation: I haven't tried the 3rd party software approach yet, but I may get around to it. It occurs to me, though, that if a particular program can only show me the contents of .dll's that I specify, then that program may not have much added utility for me, as I would need to know which .dll's to tell it to look in first, and that is exactly the information I am missing... I think my problem has more to do with knowing which .dll's I need to access than it does with accessing the contents of .dll's in general.

Muchos gracias for your responses :thumbsup:

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 25 January 2008 - 08:05 AM.

#5 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:09 AM

I am trying to find the location(s) of the `Turn Off', `Restart', `Stand By', and `Hibernate' icons (as shown on the `Turn Off Computer' dialog), the `Switch User' and `Log Off' icons (as shown on the `Log Off' dialog), and the `Turn Off Computer' and `Log Off' icons (as shown on the Start menu).

Silly question but why???

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:15 AM

Just for clarification: I was using "parent" to denote the actual command or executable, while using "icon" to connote "shortcut".

I have tons of icons on my desktop, but they all point to a file somewhere else. That file is normally an executable on my systems.

Remember...I suffer from AllTimers Disease :thumbsup:, so I may not be thinking straight.

Louis

#7 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Just for clarification: I was using "parent" to denote the actual command or executable, while using "icon" to connote "shortcut".

I have tons of icons on my desktop, but they all point to a file somewhere else. That file is normally an executable on my systems.

Remember...I suffer from AllTimers Disease :thumbsup:, so I may not be thinking straight.

Louis

wipe and have done with it

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

The utility of a 3rd party icon viewer is that you won't have to spend a bunch of time hunting for files to look in. The ability to look at the icons in a file is built into Windows XP but may be difficult to locate.

A quick look into the icons available in my copy of shell32.dll on my XP VM (with a beta of SP3 installed) shows that most of those icons are indeed located in the shell32.dll file.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Remember...I suffer from AllTimers Disease :flowers:, so I may not be thinking straight.

Louis

System restore is always worth a try :thumbsup:

#10 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

I've already checked the shell32.dll file and have performed a thorough search of all files and folders on my computer for files with the `.ico' extension (including hidden files and folders) - all without success.

Anybody have a clue?

Those are not icons, they are a bitmap resource in MSGINA.DLL (specifically #20150).

It’s simple enough to crop the bitmaps and create actual icon files from it, but it also means you’ll have to manually create a proper alpha-mask and scale it to different sizes. For the alpha-mask, I recommend just copying it from one of the square-button icons in SHELL32.DLL (that way you get proper shading and fading effects). As for scaling, I guess you can just try various scaling algorithms from a few graphics apps (for example, try the ones built into MSPaint and Microangelo, but also try the best ones in IrfanView or Photoshop or whatever).

Oh, and the icons in the log-off dialog for switch user and log off are also bitmap resources (#14356), but in SHELL32.DLL.

Edited by Synetech, 29 September 2010 - 09:58 PM.

****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#11 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

Good info, old post. Using this info you could use a resource editor to replace the bitmaps in windows, by changing the bitmaps resource table in the system file, you'd need to keep system file protection from reverting that file once it's changed, etc...

Jan 26, 2008? I'm posting in a dead thread. xD

#12 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Good info, old post. Jan 26, 2008?

I really hate it when people talk like that. Have you guys never heard of search engines? Its not old to someone who just Googled it today and landed here. If nobody bothered to answer the question just because it was asked a couple of years ago, then yet another person would end up at a dead end. :thumbsup:

Jan 26, 2008? I'm posting in a dead thread. xD

Except that it wanst dead since the OP never got an answer (and in fact it looks like the thread was jacked).
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users