Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Bios And Esupport.com

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

I just spent the past few days cleaning up my computer after a virus infected the system. During that process I got to thinking about updating my BIOS. When I went to the website for the company that built the BIOS (American MegaTrends), I was directed to eSupport.com for all BIOS/Driver Upgrades. eSupport ran a scan of my computer and said that I had 6 drivers out of date, including the BIOS. I have received two emails from the people at eSupport.com asking for me to call them because they need more information before they can help me with a BIOS upgrade (which I assume means sell me one). Two things, has anyone had an experience with eSupport.com and is it even worth it to upgrade my BIOS? Thanks...
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'd avoid them altogether. After some reading online, posters have complained about paying $69.99 for upgrades that have ruined their computers or that they could've got for free elsewhere (from the manufacturer).

With your BIOS, if it's not broke, don't fix it IMHO. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

Back when I was using something less current and I didn't know very much...I acquired a BIOS update for my old system from Mr. BIOS/eSupport. BIOS chipset :thumbsup:.

By the time that I received it, I was much smarter and realized that any applicable BIOS update would be available for free, if I went to the correct website. And I also realized that it was easier (IMO) to replace a motherboard than I had first imagined.

I believe these services (Mr. BIOS/eSupport) probably provide a value to someone who has a very expensive system and who does not plan to upgrade and who actually has a hardware problem with a BIOS chipset.

IMO, all others should stick to downloadable BIOS updates by motherboard manufacturers..and employ such only when it is clear that flashing the BIOS will result in some capability which did not previously exist with that particular board/BIOS or will resolve some problem that is inherent in that board/BIOS.

Louis

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

My motherboard isn't old (just upgraded last year) so age is not an issue. How do you tell or where can you go to find out what benefits will be added if you upgrade your BIOS version? My motherboard is an ASUS P4S800D Socket 478 if that helps any. I have also been to the ASUS website and can't seem to find out what the improvements will be if I upgrade.

Edited by Rittnasty, 24 January 2008 - 04:23 PM.

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Every software BIOS update I've seen...has a short description of the impacts that it makes, a "justification explanation", if you will.

Louis

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

Since your board isn't that old it probably won't benefit from a bios upgrade. Most upgrades offer support for more processors. With a socket 478 theres not much room for growth

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 January 2008 - 05:13 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!

You can visit http://www.driveragent.com and get a report for free (they'll try and sell you stuff also, but at least they'll give you the report). Take the report with a grain of salt as it includes a lot of stuff that you won't need to worry about.

As others have stated "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". There's no need to fix anything that isn't broken (unless you're an incorrigible tweaker or overclocker).

Provide us with the make and model of your computer (the make and model of the motherboard if it's been custom assembled) and we'll tell you what is available. Then describe any problems that you may be having and we can suggest some fixes for them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

I wouldnt update the BIOS, for any reason, on any computer that is not having an issue that the update addresses.
Flashing the BIOS is NOT for the feint of heart!
If the upgrade fails you will end up with an expensive paper weight!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Rittnasty

Rittnasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

If anyone is able to find the details of a BIOS upgrade for my motherboard (or tell me where I can find it) that would make things a little easier. I don't even know what typical things a BIOS upgrade does for you system. If anyone has some examples of some of the features of a BIOS upgrade as far as system enhancements, I would appreciate it. My current mobo is an ASUS P4S800D-X. Thanks.

Thoughtvent.com

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

As stated previously...any BIOS updates for motherboards (not systems) will be found at the motherboard manufacturer's website, just as motherboard drivers are found there.

Louis

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

Really the only reason to upgrade the bios is to fix a problem or upgrading your processor. Here is the Link to the asus website where your bios upgrade will be and all of the drivers for your motherboard. Proceed at your OWN risk if your computer is not having problems it is NOT reccomended you flash your bios. It will not give you any performance gain.

And I quote
"P4S800D-X Release BIOS 1005
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx "

Edit: Typo

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 January 2008 - 02:56 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 Rittnasty

Rittnasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Thoughtvent.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users