Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 roybot

roybot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

Hi, My wifes computer has stopped working. Powered down the Pc like normal the previous night. Next day tried to power up and nothing. Power led comes on, and monitor power comes on briefly and then shuts off. Fans are running, but hard drive just sits there. Doesn't even try to run a POST. Is this a power supply problem or has my hard drive crapped out? What should I do ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

What type of graphics card have you got

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

#3 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:57 AM

you will need to try another psu to see if it is infact a psu problem this would be the first place to start, the reason i dont think its a software related issue is because you say that the pc doesnt even post. do you get any beeps? usually you can identify a hardware problem through the beep codes of a machine. if you do get beeps then please note them down in terms of 1 short beep then 2 long beeps etc.

if the harddrive is getting no power then i would definetly suspect the PSU, i would try another one.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

If you have a Voltmeter you can test the +12V and +5V voltages with any of the molex connectors. If you want you can also test all of the different rail voltages from the 20/24 pin connector which attaches to the motherboard. With the power off remove the connector from the motherboard and place a wire jumper between the green wire socket and any black wire socket, this will bypass what the motherboard does to turn on the PSU. Turn the power back on to the PSU and you should be able to read the voltages from the connector, you can find the color codes and their voltages at this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:36 AM

What type of graphics card have you got

If your graphics card is broken the computer will not display anything on the screen.
If your Power suppy is broken the computer will not power up which means no fan no lights nothing.
Which applies

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

#6 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

Well not quite, If the PSU fails, it wont always be a no LED sign from the CPU. Sometimes or most of the time, voltage do run inside the board, gives the board a bit of life to light on an LED indicator, just not enough to run the whole system.

What I can suggest is, minimize your PCI or external hardware from inside your CPU. Like soundcards, graphic card (If that is an external and you are having a built in as a fail-safe) and just to make sure, plug off and clean the gold plated on your RAM with something like maybe an eraser. Or maybe switch the slots just to make sure. Give it a try. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#7 roybot

roybot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:47 AM

Tried new pcu with same result. Will try new vid card and see what happens. Thanks for input.

#8 roybot

roybot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

Tried new grafix card, same problem. I do get one long continues beeb. Any thing else?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Try reseating your individual memory modules...or try them one at a time (in the proper slot).

It helps if we know what kind of system (manufacturer/model) you are referring to.

Louis

#10 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:39 AM

I would suggest to reset CMOS (on the main board). If this doesn't help, try to disconnect unnecessary devices (cds, dvds, hard drives) just to see if the computer works. If it does work, you should change your PSU (power supply unit).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users