Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Virus Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 revan1013

revan1013

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

Hi all, hope you can help.

I've got a major trojan that ended up on my computer. When I start up my computer, there are errors related to a specific kernal error 1257 (or 1259, not sure which, I'll check again later) so there's a registry problem. Everytime I open a folder, the comp slows down. Sometimes I cannot open "My Computer" at all. I cannot copy or paste anything without the computer slowing down to a stop. Task Manager doesn't show anything unusual, or anything taking up CPU speed. I am eventually forced to restart the computer, and again the same thing happens. A .sys file was missing on the computer, not sure which, but it came up when I was trying to reinstall/repair Windows, which I eventually did, albeit with errors during the repair phase involving missing files need for reinstall. Registry repair tools have fixed the registry, then after reboot everything is screwy again. McAfee isn't detecting any viruses at all, and TrendMicro's online house call thing doesn't run long enough to scan well since the comp slows down too far for it to finish.

I can't back anything up. I can't System Restore. Repairing Windows did nothing. The computer is painfully slow and not working well.

So... what can I do? What is the problem specifically? What are our options? Can the data be saved if we take it to a techie?

Thank, please help... we have so much important info on our computer that we'd hate to lose it.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over, reformatting the drive and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action. Please read "When should I re-format?" and "Reformatting the computer or troubleshooting; which is best?".

Should you decide not to follow that advice, I can give you instructions on how to post a HijackThis log so your system can be checked for malware.

If you choose to reformat and perform a clean install, but need to salvage you data, another option is to remove your hard drive and install a new one. Then you could make the old one a "slave" drive. That way you should be able to access it and salvage some of your data files.

"How to Change the Master/Slave Designation on a Hard Drive"
"Data Recovery Tutorial: How to Slave a Hard Drive"

You can start a new topic in the Hardware forum if you need assistance with that. Hardware is not my area of expertise but we have advanced members here who can walk you through step by step.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 revan1013

revan1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

Thank you for the reply. The problem is that I cannot even transfer any data within the computer, how will I be able to do it after I install a new one?

Also, if I partition the drive, will the new, clean partition be able to grab the data from the infected partition?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users