Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Usage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arnagath

Arnagath

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

I encountered a problem where I have massive memory usage 2.10 Gigs + (has even gone up to 3.9 where everything was very slow on the computer) (started happening a few days ago). Does anybody know any programs that does this. I think it could be azureus but got no clue. Should I post a hijack this log?

Had the same problem with netlimiter a while ago but when I exited netlimiter all the memory was "released". This does not happen when I shut down all programs running on my current machine. Though there is ASUS ACPI Center running and I done seem to be able to shut it down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

Check in the Processes tab of Task Manager to see what's using all the memory. Also, I'd suggest a free, online malware scan just in case something's gotten through your protection.

Here's the one's that I use:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/sandbox...s%2Fdefault.htm (requires IE)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

Ctrl-Alt-Del to take a look in your Task Manager. There is a section (button) so-called "Resource Monitor". Open it you'll have more info about which program has used a lof of RAM.

Posted Image

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

hi,,, is'nt azures a torrent app,,,, you could of downloaded your self some malware or a virus,,,, p2p sites are full of them, i usally right click on the downloaded file and do a virus & malware scan befor opening a torrent. good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 Arnagath

Arnagath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thing is the program using up the most memory is azureus which is about 120Mb. The other stuff I cant see, even if I press show all processes for all users. Memory leak is my tip, so anybody have any clue if there is a memory leak malware or is it a problem with one of my programs.

However could it be that Vista uses all that space?

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

vista dose use all avalible ram with superfetch,,, as soon as you start up another program or the os neens it superfetch makes it avalible
http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1048
this link explains it a bit better.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

It could be a virus, it could be a corruption of Azureus, could be a problem with Windows, or it could be the "seeding" of the P2P application (I don't know squat about P2P).

Scan for viruses, then uninstall Azureus and download a new copy to install - if neither of those work the it's either Windows or the P2P function (IMO)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

p2p site's are a mase of viruses & spyware,,,, alot of times if your not downloading or seeding to others and your torrent application is going nuts then its usally a sign of nasties using your torrent app to get out & bring in friends as you have set the torrent program to be allowed past your firewall in both directions,,, scann with everything you have & download some more & scan again,,,,,, try superantispyware or a good 1 that John recomends is windows live 1 care,,,,,,, also as John says uninstall Azureus, then and try utorrent,,, it uses a lot less of your resorces on your pc.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 Arnagath

Arnagath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

I tried everything out, and now I have about 1.16Gigs or usage which should be normal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users