Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Or Uninstall Any Programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fordwaters

fordwaters

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have encountered a serious problem in that I cannot install or uninstall any programs onto my computer. For this particular instance I'll refer to my Bearshare program.

I am running Windows XP Home edition SP2 and I've tried a system restore back to when everything was working properly. Unfortunately I get multiple errors when trying to perform different applications. These include; when attempting to uninstall Bearshare, a box pops up unable to find INSTALL.LOG; when trying to reinstall the program, I get an error saying "Could not initialize installation. C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER~1.COY\LOCALS~1\Temp\GLC6.tmp the process cannot acces the file because it is being used by another process." I have tried to delete my temp files and they all say that they're write-protected or being used by another program.

I have rebooted, done system restores and rebooted numerous times. When trying to open Bearshare after a system restore it says that some files are corrupted and cannot open the program. I can't uninstall, reinstall or open the program. This problem actually persists through most of my programs on my computer and programs that I've tried to install since. Please help me so that my computer doesn't suffer. I'd hate to have to pull the plug.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

Ok so now that you know you've been using Virus Central we'll see what we can do to help.
First What AV prog have you got?
Second What antispyware prog have you got?
I can and will work this through for you but you have to give me the info I ask.
In the meantime go here and do an online scan as I'll not be back til tomorrow
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Allow it to fix any errors or threats it finds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users