Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewing Jpeg Documents In Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elin0t

elin0t

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

I have had vista for almost a year now and I use my scanner to scan lots of documents that I have printed out previously. I have never had any problems viewing them in what I thought was a simple viewer program, nothing fancy or photo oriented. Today all of a sudden all of my documents are opening with windows photo gallery. This program prints and views those documents in a complex way not letting me simplify it. It uses too much ink and doesn't let me get to my printing prefereces attached to my printer. I want the simple way back but unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember what it was called? It is just one of those things that opened automatically and I never changed or had any reason to pay too much detailed attention to it. I hope someone can direct me to the right place so I can find this or figure out what is going on. If you are running vista I would love to know what you open documents with!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Are you thinking of the Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006 Editor, or maybe just the simpler MS Paint program?

For either one, just right click on the file name, select Open With (not just plain Open) and scroll down to and select Choose Default Program. If the program you want is not in the list of Recommended Programs, click on either Browse and find a program on your computer, or the blue link that will help you find a program on the internet. Once you're chosen the program you always want to use to open JPEGS, make sure you check the checkbox just above that blue link.

FYI, if Paint is the program you're thinking of, it's most likely here on your computer: C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe.

If the other one (or a similar version) is also on your computer, it's probably here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Digital Image 2006\pi.exe

Hope this helps!

#3 elin0t

elin0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

I have tried that, trying to use the "open with" and find a different program but it only gives me the photo programs and paint of course. It wasn't any of those I was using before. My main issue is that I can't even remember what I was using but it was not a photo type program, something more like the picture and fax viewer which I can't find either. And let me clarify that I am not having problems viewing photos, just documents that I have scanned in and then try to reopen or print or use to fax.
I tried looking for the microsoft digital image 2006 and could not find that on my computer anywhere. I am just not sure where to find what I am looking for but I do appreciate your help. Any other suggestions would be great and again if anyone is using vista and could tell me what their options are for viewing jpegs I would appreciate it.
THANK YOU!

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

Sorry I wasn't able to help you.

According to Windows Help and Support, "For viewing pictures and faxes, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has been replaced by the new Windows Photo Gallery." So it seems that we Vista users have no choice in that department.

Also, I should have answered your question about how I view JPEGs. Frankly, because I do a lot of graphics, I simply use my graphics software, so that doesn't help you. However ....

Did you know that you can use Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer to open individual JPEGS? Try it with Open With, and you'll see what I mean. Don't know why I didn't think of that before - probably because it was too simple. :huh: Give it a try. You might need to change your page settings for printing, but I should think that would be fairly minor.

Please let me know what happens!

#5 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

What are the scanned documents saved as. If they are jpegs/gif they will open in Picture Gallery. Scanned documents can usually be saved as .doc after editing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users