Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would Combining Ram With Different Timings Affect My Performance A Great Deal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

Well currently in my maching (should see in my sig.) has 2gb of patriot ddr2 800 RAM with CAS 4 timings 4-4-4-12...just running stock as of now. I want to add 4 more GB of RAM for a total of 6GB, but I'm trying to decide what ram I want. My budget is at most spending 100 bucks, but i'm not sure i wanna spend that much. I was looking at 2 different patriot rams, one is cas 5 with 5-5-5-12 and one was cas 4 with 4-4-4-12....the first set is only like 70 bucks, the second about 95 bucks...would the first set, the cas 5, slow down my other 2gb of ram, or be slow in general since they only have a cas of 5 instead of the faster cas 4?

also if anyone has suggestions of good ram, much appreciated....i was also looking at some ocz reapers for about 100 bucks but these are 4-4-4-15...any big difference?

also if someone could briefly explain how to change timing settings and ram voltage in bios..that'd be superb!

thanks
Zac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

I missed the part about what OS you are running, 32 bit won't even see the full 4 gigs, even with vista 64 bit, 4 gigs of matched ram should be more than enough

Edited by DaChew, 23 January 2008 - 03:20 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

dachew always saves the day for me!....

i'm running xp corporate..shh don't tell :-D...idk if it's 32 or 64 bit, beats me...but i guess if there isn't much improved ment between 2gb and 4gb then i'll just get 2gb (2x1gb) since price/gb its a lot cheaper than getting 2 sticks of 2gb

Thanks again!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

you have the 32 bit x86?, if you had 64 bit you would know as it's such a hassle to find drivers

don't expect to see more than 3.25 gigs TOTAL with it, try to get the exact same sticks you have now

Edited by DaChew, 23 January 2008 - 03:44 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

well i checked in msinfo32 and i guess it's xp professional s.p. 2(maybe that's what all corp. versions are idk) but i suppose it won't say 32 or 64 bit cuz i don't see it...

i haven't had any major driver problems tho so it's probably 32 bit

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

It may say it in msinfo - but I don't know for sure.
Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
If it doesn't say 64 bit there - then you've got 32 bit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

I am using Patriot Memory now you should be able to Lower the CAS to 3 on your CAS 4 memory. You will need to bump up the voltage a notch but it should run ok. My runs fine even with my OC'd FSB. It may be different with your exact memeory. Make sure you know where the cmos reset jumper is incase the computer doesnt post. If it fails post just reset the bios and start over.

Chipset : VIA P4M900
DIMM Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300
Bus Speed : 104.1 MHz
FSB Frequency : 416.3 MHz (QDR)

Chipset Bandwidth : 3328 MB/s
Latency : CL3

[/b]Processor : Intel Celeron
Frequency : 2810.3 MHz
Number of Core : 1
L1 Cache : 8 KB
L2 Cache : 128 KB
Total Memory : 1984 MB
Bus Speed : 104.1 MHz
FSB Frequency : 416.3 MHz (QDR)

Edit: Information Provided by Pcwizard

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 January 2008 - 05:34 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users