Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jruggiero

jruggiero

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hello,
my name is John.

Just yesterday, i was using my Dell XPS 400 series desktop and i was just browsing the internet normally. I shut down my computer, normally, and when i came back after dinner, i booted my compy and i got the BSOD saying "Unmountable_Boot_Volume" along with a Stop error along the lines of 0x468238c (0x00000000, 0x0000000, 0x00000) or something like that. I've searched the forums and have found multiple topics on this, but i'm not quite sure exactly how to proceed with this error.

One thing that may be important, I really really need the files that are on my computer, so if there are two different ways to solve this, and one of them keeps the files, I need that one.

I am kind of techno-impaired as my sons call it, and i may need a walkthrough for this.

I am 99% sure i have the XP Media Center disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

John.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

It could be a corrupt boot.ini file or a bad hard drive. If you have the original Windows disk you can follow repair instructions here:
http://www.juicytools.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jruggiero

jruggiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thank you,

Will this delete my files if i proceed as established on the JuicyTools.com site?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

What files are you wondering about chkdsk deleting. For a little more information regarding chkdsk, See the following: Performing error checking by using Chkdsk .exe, Command-line reference A-Z and An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use with Chkdsk.exe

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 jruggiero

jruggiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

well, i mean i have tax files and stuff on there, i just want everything to go back to the way it was before.

#6 jruggiero

jruggiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

I'm in the middle of doing what you told me to do, just finished chkdsk /p

it prompted me and i typed in "fixboot" as directed by the site.

It displayed "The target partition is C:.
Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?"

and now its prompting me.

I mean, the site tell me to say Y, but im wondering what it will do and what files (if any) will be deleted by "writing a new bootsector to the partition C:"

Help, plz.

John

#7 jruggiero

jruggiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

plz help.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

No it should not. You're not touching any Windows document files
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 jruggiero

jruggiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS.

Thank you so much.

I would love to help out other people with this issue.

Thanks so so so so much.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

FWIW: Running chkdsk /p accomplishes nothing but a read. To repair anything, you need to run chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r (which includes chkdsk /f).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users