Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Video Card Problems?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lena975

Lena975

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

:thumbsup: started out playing WoW and everything went fine UNTIL I signed off and my computer rebooted and gave me an error message saying that my video driver needed to be updated and was directed to the microsoft site were I was told that I also needed to install service pack 2 so I updated both, the driver directly from the website and the service pack from microsoft. I then rebooted per the instructions and was told that one of my .dll filed had been moved (I have the exact file name at home) but that there was a patch for it to move the file back so I installed that and received an message from spybot telling me that the file had indeed been moved back. So I decided to play WoW again and everything was going great and I logged out and then my computer froze up. Every time I say I logged out and this stuff happened I was at the log in screen I hadn't completely closed out WoW. Anywho, so I did a hard reboot and my computer would only start in safe mode. So I went in and backed up all my files, music pictures, etc (because my computer HAD completely crashed before and I ended up having my partition corrupted and Sony replaced my harddrive, buffer, motherboard, video card and sound card, I was under warranty) and then checked my error logs. There were two things there, one that my clock wasn't synching up and that my video card had malfunctioned, which popped up every single time I rebooted. Also when I got to the point that my I could only boot up in safe mode my screen started to act up, as soon as I booted I had vertical lines pop up on the right side of the screen that was dotty (not solid lines but dashed, if you know what I mean) and when I went to my solid black screen it was green and black broken bars and the lines continued to be there, although not change, the whole time the computer was on. So I decided (I know I was very hasty with this) to do a system reinstall. It seemed to go through just fine UNTIL it was time for windows to load and then I received the error message that windows did not fully install and to try again. Oh, the step I missed was before I decided to do all this I checked my connections to see if it was a loose cable somewhere or something. Moving on, I then reset my BIOS to factory install and since that didn't do anything decided to crack open my computer to see if perhaps something was not seated properly, I pulled things out (I have done at least that much before) and tried everything again to no avail, exact same problems as before (at least they didn't get worse, right?). Blue screens freak me out, I actually haven't gotten any of those.

My video card does not have a fan, my system fan is working though. I have a Radeon x300 which came with my computer which is a Sony VGCRA820G. My OS is Windows XP Media Edition.

Chipset Intel 915 P
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
Installed Memory 1 GB (DDR SDRAM)
Recommended Use Home Use
Form Factor Mini Tower
Display -
PROCESSOR
Processor Type Intel Pentium 4
Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Number -
Socket Type -
Processor Upgradability -
Installed Qty 1
Max Processors Qty. 1
DISPLAY
Display Type -
Size -
MOTHERBOARD
Bus Speed 800 MHz
Video Output Interface PCI Express
MEMORY
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM 1 GB
Max Supported RAM 2 GB
Number of Memory Slots -
Supported RAM Speeds 400 MHz
Installed Cache Memory 1 MB
Installed Video Memory 128 MB
SYSTEM
Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 7 FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 2 RJ45 Lan Port x 1 PS/2 Mouse x 1 PS/2 Keyboard x 1 Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 RJ11 Phone Jack x 1 (Input)
Expansion Bays 2 x 5.25` Half-Height (External Access) 3 x 3.5` (Internal Access) 1 x 3.5` (External Access)
Expansion Slots PCI Express x16 x 1 PCI Express x1 x 1 PCI x 2
Other Features Hyper Thread Technology Ready
Power Configurations ACPI/APM Power Management
HARD DRIVE
Controller Type Serial ATA
Hard Drive Capacity 200 GB
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7,200 RPM

I would really appriciate ANY and ALL help I can get!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

SP 2? When was the last time you updated windows? My first recommendation would be a repair install of windows then a full update and we can go from there. There have been at least 100 updates since SP2.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Lena975

Lena975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Actually I downloaded SP2 November 05 and have gotten regular updates since then. That's the weird thing that it told me to install it again after I updated the driver. I did try to do a full system restore and just start fresh, reinstall the updates, etc and now windows will not completely load. Typically I would check for updates (if I couldn't set them for automatic) at the very least every two weeks.

(EDIT: The reason that I know the exact date for this is because my whole computer got corrupted and so, since it was under warranty Sony replaced the motherboard, the harddrive, the damper, the video card and the sound card.)

Edited by Lena975, 23 January 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hmmm...if Sony replaced all those hardware items...there was no "corruption" involved, that system had serious problems.

I agree with Sneakycyber's suggestion...start with an attempted repair just to get an idea of what lies ahead.

Louis

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

When windows wont load completley what exactly does it do? Does it stop at the XP splash screen?

Edit: Pardon My lateness but :thumbsup: To bleeping computer

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 January 2008 - 05:46 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 Lena975

Lena975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

Thank you for the welcome! :thumbsup:

Okay, step by step, I put in the VAIO Restore disk, it cycles through (no error messages) and then it boots up, I have lines that are all over the right side btw, and the screen turns to green and black bars (broken) and then the Windows logo comes on with the thinking bar at the bottom and that's where I get my error message, right after that stating "Windows did not fully install".

As far as the past system corruption, I don't fully know what it was Sony never told me but it was horrible, I was hacked into (to get personal information about a really close friend of mine) and since then I have been especially paranoid when it comes to my computer, regular updates and backing-up files fanatically (since I lost my wedding photos, about 1,000 pictures of the drive moving here to Sacramento from the DC area, music, videos, etc.). But I don't think that has anything to do with what is going on now, that was back in October 05-December 05. What kind of problems would cause all those replacements?

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

This sounds like a hardware issue. Lets start with the basics When was the last time the computer was cleaned out? Follow this link and hunt down all those dust bunnies! Next since you have access to a working computer download Memtest . You will need to download the ISO image suitable for creating a bootable cd-rom. You can use Nero or ISO Recorder to burn the image to a cd-rom. Next put the cd-rom into the bad computer and reboot the computer. If the computer does not boot from the CD you will need to change the boot priority in the bios menu. Post back with questions and or results. :thumbsup:

Edit: Not sure what cause the problems before, or why those components had to be replaced. They could have failed due to poor manufacturing. A serious error or virus could have cause a catastrophic failure.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 January 2008 - 07:24 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

hhmm, i had the same issues "lines over my screen" - which was in turn my radeon 9800pro overheating (man that thing used to get so hot!)
=)

#9 Lena975

Lena975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

I did clean it out after I started having my issues. It was horribly dirty (I will never let that happen again, trust me. Currently, that computer is the only one in the house with a working burner on it. I am about to head out to Frys to buy a new video card and will replace that tonight. Hopefully that fixes the problem if not I will try your idea tomorrow when I am at work and have a burner.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Did you use canned air and get in between the heat sinks fins?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Lena975

Lena975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

Yep I even used a computer cloth to gently wipe it clean. I am happy to report to everyone that I did get the video card and although I am still in the process of installing my OS back in I noticed an immediate difference!!! I didn't have to use my reading glasses to see the screen anymore!!!!

Hopefullly my OS installs without any issues since it's a different video card (they don't make my old one anymore) and I heard that VAIO's are a tad picky about that. But if worse comes to worse I can just get a windows disk and create a new System disk, right?

I am sooo excited I can't wait for it to be up and running!!! I will keep everyone informed about the OS since that is something that I hope other people can benefit from, there wasn't much information on the internet about it, just that VAIO's usually won't reinstall without the original video card. :thumbsup:

:flowers: Thank you everyone for the great advice and help during my trying time. I really was ready to kill my computer!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users