Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde-vundo Infection-hijack This Log File

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 bennytheboy

bennytheboy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

Firstly to say that I'm running Windows XP SP2 with an up to date Norton Internet Security 2007.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed in the Windows Task Manager that explorer.exe was using 99% of my CPU usage which was causing my computer to completely crash so I did a scan with Ad-Aware to see if I had some viruses or Trojans on my Desktop.

It came back saying that I had Virtumonde and gave the file paths (included at the bottom of this post) which incidently were in the Explorer folder of the registry. Ad-Aware supposedly removed the infection but I continued to have problems so I did a full scan with Spybot, Spyware Terminator, Ad-Aware and Norton Anti Virus which all showed nothing.

After finding this Forum I then used Vundo Fix which came back with 4 or 5 .dll files in the C:\Windows\System folder which it removed. I scanned the entire computer again with Vundo Fix to see if it was clean which it was and also scanned again with Norton, Ad-Aware, Spybot and Spyware Terminator. This came back clean with the exception of Spybot which said that Windows Security Centre was disabled so I clicked on "fix" to rectify that.

So the computer came up clean and initially when using the Desktop for the first hour everything was fine but then explorer.exe starts using 99% of the CPU again.

Scanned it all again as above and this time used the VirtumondeBeGone and it all came back clean again.

Again for the first hour after all the scans everything is fine and then the explorer.exe clicks in and takes up 99% of the CPU again and I can shut the computer down and restart and the problem is still there. It's only after I complete all the scans is it ok for the first hour.

My Desktop was fine before the Vundo/Virtumonde infection and explorer.exe was not using up anymore than it's normal resources but now it's at 99% all of the time so the two must be connected.

Windows XP SP2 has all the critical updates. I download all updates for Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Terminator before I scan and I've also installed Java to the latest version.

I've done a Hijack This log which is below.

Can anyone help?

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 00:21:00, on 23/01/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://gb8.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-gb8.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.orange.co.uk
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.crawler.com/search/ie.aspx?tb_id=60311
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = http://dnl.crawler.com/support/sa_customize.aspx?TbId=60311
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-gb8.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://srch-gb8.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://dnl.crawler.com/support/sa_customize.aspx?TbId=60311
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/oem
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Orange
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\UIBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Orange Toolbar - {E97B5F2E-CA8E-4D34-BDA3-44EEC4ED2B12} - C:\Program Files\Orange Toolbar UK\ToolbarContainer192.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCFCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCFtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Money Viewer - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.orange.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by15fd.bay15.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1160512250765
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E7D2588A-7FB5-47DC-8830-832605661009} (Live Collaboration) - http://livenj01.rightnowtech.com/5570-b298...l/java/RntX.cab
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter (Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Wireless Network Utility\WLService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: lxcf_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcfcoms.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 8733 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

I have moved your Topic that includes a HijackThis log here to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum. You posted your log in a forum not intended for HijackThis logs analysis and probably missed the directions we provide to those who require assistance. We can only allow topics with such logs in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum. This restriction is to ensure you get the best help available, from those who specialize in malware anlaysis and removal. It also should prevent you from receiving ineffective or even potentially dangerous advice, whether well meaning or not.

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you have performed some of them already, then just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will include downloading and using the most current version of HijackThis if the first line of your log does not appear as follows:

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

Please DO NOT post any more logs to this topic, or post a log again in the wrong forum.

The Misplaced HJT Logs forum is strictly a holding area where the BC Staff can assist you with preparations for and to properly post your log. If you have a question or encounter a problem in the Prep Guide, please do post back to this topic; that is what it is here for.

When your new HJT log is posted in the proper forum, please reply to this topic with a link to your new topic. Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck.
The BC Staff
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi, and Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

My name is jpshortstuff. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
As I am still training, my posts to you will be checked by an Expert member. This will ensure that all advice and instructions I give you are accurate and safe. This may mean that my replies may take a little longer.

jpshortstuff
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 bennytheboy

bennytheboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hi Jpshortstuff,

Thankyou for your reply and thanks in advance for your help which will be appreciated.

I'll wait for your posts.

Thanks again.

Benny

#5 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi

Viewpoint Manager is installed without the users permission. If you didn't install it, or if you did but you no longer use it, I recommend you get rid of it.

Please click Start >> Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.
Find the item below on the list and click Remove.
Viewpoint Manager
Let me know how it goes.

Download ComboFix by sUBs from here or here

**Save it to your desktop**

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Thanks,

jpshortstuff
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 bennytheboy

bennytheboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:36 AM

Hi jpshortstuff,

Thankyou very much for your reply and for your help which is appreciated.

I have sucessfully uninstalled the Viewpoint Manager as you requested.

I also downloaded the Combo Fix and attempted to run it. It did crash explorer.exe and left me with just the screensaver and I lost all desktop items and the systems tray although the ComboFix continued to run. Ironically it's the explorer.exe that is using up 99% of my CPU so I don't know if that's relevant here.

Basically Combo Fix completed 40 stages of this program and then came to something which said deleting files and folders and listed the following files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\fgjlm.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fgjlm.ini2

Combo Fix then tried to reboot my computer but that failed and I had to restart my computer manually.

I have run Combo Fix 3 times and it names the same files so obviously they haven't been deleted. I haven't manually deleted them and I won't unless you tell me to do so and if you do then please say how you want me to delete them.

I can't post a log of Combo Fix as it didn't give me one. I have done another HiJackThis Log although I'm not sure how relevant it is without the ComboFix log but I've included it with this post anyway.

So what's the next step? Do you want me to remove the files (above) manually? Or maybe something else?

Thanks again for your help and I'll await your next reply.

Benny

Scan saved at 10:22, on 2008-01-25
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Wireless Network Utility\WLService.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Wireless Network Utility\WLanCfgG.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AUPDATE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LuCallbackProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-gb8.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.orange.co.uk
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.crawler.com/search/ie.aspx?tb_id=60311
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = http://dnl.crawler.com/support/sa_customize.aspx?TbId=60311
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-gb8.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://srch-gb8.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/oem
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Orange Toolbar - {E97B5F2E-CA8E-4D34-BDA3-44EEC4ED2B12} - C:\Program Files\Orange Toolbar UK\ToolbarContainer192.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCFCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCFtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Money Viewer - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.orange.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by15fd.bay15.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1160512250765
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E7D2588A-7FB5-47DC-8830-832605661009} (Live Collaboration) - http://livenj01.rightnowtech.com/5570-b298...l/java/RntX.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{05022F37-CDF8-49DC-AB11-2C7F226DD8F5}: NameServer = 195.92.195.95 195.92.195.94
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{05022F37-CDF8-49DC-AB11-2C7F226DD8F5}: NameServer = 195.92.195.95 195.92.195.94
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter (Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Wireless Network Utility\WLService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: lxcf_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcfcoms.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--
End of file - 9575 bytes

#7 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

There should be a ComboFix log, look here:
C:\ComboFix.txt
and post whatever is there.
(Note, not ComboFix2 or ComboFix3, just ComboFix.txt.

Posted Image

#8 bennytheboy

bennytheboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

All it says is this:

ComboFix 08-01-23.1B - Owner 2008-01-25 16:34:33.6 - NTFSx86
Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\ComboFix.exe

That's it. It said the same before and I did another scan and it's said the same again.

After the scan says completed 40 stages or whatever, it says it is deleting the files and folders that I mentioned before and then says attempting reboot windows or something similar. Then it says something like "add is not an external command". Repeats this line several times and then the scan disappears and doesn't reappear.

The computer doesn't reboot and the desktop and systems tray are no longer there because the explorer.exe file has been stopped which I presume the ComboFix has done. So I have to reboot using the Windows Task Manager.

I also noticed this afternoon the following message:

Google has blocked an attempt by another program to change your settings".

I've seen this several times recently although I have no idea if it's relevant.

Today I have scanned with Ad-Aware again and I found 2 things I didn't know about which said:

Trojan.Peed.Gen whose file path was:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jar_cache59065.tmp

and also:

Win32.Trojan.KillProc whose file paths were:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\nsg5.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\nsa.tmp

Again I've no idea if they are relevant but Ad-Aware says they were removed although I deleted all temp files in safe mode logged on as both the administrator and the owner to be sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out.

Benny

#9 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hi Benny,

I'm just contacting the developer of ComboFix about these issues, see what we can do about it.

Thanks for your patience.

Posted Image

#10 bennytheboy

bennytheboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hi jpshortstuff,

No problem with the patience as I appreciate your help.

Just one other thing. When I scanned with Spyware Terminator today, later on I looked in the list of unknown software and the C:\WINDOWS\system32\fgjlm.ini was there that I mentioned earlier as mljgf.dll {BH} with a registry entry of:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\browser helper objects\{46B5D4F8-2609-4974-B170-47867DB42F87}

There was no mention of the other file which was C:\WINDOWS\system32\fgjlm.ini2

What's making me suspicious of this is that Combo Fix identified the file for deleting and it has a registry entry in the Explorer Folder and it's the explorer.exe that is using 99% of the CPU.

I'm thinking that the 2 could be connected but I'd like to know your opinion?

Regards

Benny

#11 bennytheboy

bennytheboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

Sorry I got the file name wrong in my last post.

It wasn't C:\WINDOWS\system32\fgjlm.ini as I stated.

It was C:\WINDOWS\system32\mljgf.dll

I have Googled mljgf.dll and it comes up as a variant of Virtumonde and there is a page here to help with it's removal.

Should I go on and follow those instructions to remove it?

Regards

Benny

#12 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

We have been dealing with Virtumonde from the beginning.

Talked to the developer of ComboFix, there is another copy he would like us to try,

Delete your exiting copy of ComboFix.

Download and run the new one:
http://subs.geekstogo.com/zh/ComboFix.exe
(save to your desktop)

Post the logs, let me know how it goes.

Thanks.

Posted Image

#13 bennytheboy

bennytheboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

I can't download the other ComboFix and that has been one of the problems with this malware in that it stops me downloading things at times (not all the time) and I struggle to keep Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Terminator and Norton up to date.

I'll try again later but I've tried 3 times already today with no luck.

#14 sUBs

sUBs

sUBs

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

What happens when you click the link that's provided?

#15 sUBs

sUBs

sUBs

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Try this other link. It contains a copy of ComboFix.exe that's renamed to CF.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users