Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Deleted Programs From Add/remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

I have two two programs on my Add/Remove programs list that I've already uninstalled. The Sims: Livin' Large, and Macromedia Freehand 10. The Sims is over 600MB, and Freehand doesn't show a size next to the program name. I've already uninstalled them both via Add/Remove programs, and I've deleted both the folders from the Program Files folder, but they don't leave the Add/Remove programs list. I click to uninstall the Sims again, and nothing happens. I try to uninstall Freehand and it says:

An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the specified file.

Could anybody help me get these things off my programs list? And another small side question: I rolled back to Windows Media Player 10 months ago, but Windows Media Player 11 Format runtime is still present on my list. Is it safe to uninstall? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

- Kanye

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

Hello Kanye,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hello Kanye,

As requested, this topic is now reopened.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Probably (IMO) the major reason why some uninstalls leave residue...is the fact that files/folders/registry entries were in use when the program was uninstalled.

I would try reinstalling the programs...using Task Manager to make sure that any services related to said programs were killed...and then attempting uninstall via Add/Remove programs.

Another option would be to try to uninstall while in Safe Mode.

I also believe that Tweak UI will provide a means of removing items from Add/Remove listing.

Louis

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.

Thanks, that worked great and I got rid of them both. :thumbsup: Does anybody have answer for my other question?

I rolled back to Windows Media Player 10 months ago, but Windows Media Player 11 Format runtime is still present on my list. Is it safe to uninstall?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

I see no reason not to uninstall it.

I did a quick search...there is a WMR 9.5 but I cannot see one for WM 10. A bit strange.

I'm sure that if 10 needs any files, it will let you know :thumbsup:. The Runtime 11 file cannot be in that category, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users