Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Or Hardware? Computer Randomly Freezes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ih8viruses

ih8viruses

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware problem. My computer will randomly freeze up without notice (not slow before). The Task Manager won't come up, and sometimes it takes a full shut off of power (hitting switch in back) and leaving it off for a while before Windows will kick in and come back on.

I had a new power supply put in back in April, then the computer wouldn't shut down even though windows had. This is a bit different because it only happens while the computer is running.

I am also unable to do complete virus scans as this happens right in the middle.

Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

Hello,

Can you provide some more information, The system specifications, the operating system your security set up?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ih8viruses

ih8viruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

I'm running Windows XP. I have avast, spybot, ad-aware. I can't run any of them. I can't run any programs. Now unable to even go on the web (luckily i have access to another computer).

I have deleted all cookies, temporary files, temporary internet files, etc. This problem is getting progressively worse.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

What is the system hardware processor, ram, HDD etc?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 ih8viruses

ih8viruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Celeron D processor (2.67 GHz), 768mb ram (installed new ram 2yrs ago), not sure what else is on there... installed a radeon video card at same time as ram.

Also have FreeRam Pro (not sure if you need that info or not)

#6 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, try running a SAS scan in Safe Mode and see if that helps.

#7 ih8viruses

ih8viruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

No, i can't get into safe mode at all... I can get to the screen and get it to start, but it gets stuck and doesn't do anything... I can't even get SAS to run longer than 2 min

hdd is nfts

Edited by ih8viruses, 23 January 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

If you have some functionality before it freezes, get the taskmanager up and under processes arange by memory usage, can you see any that are hogging resources?
Regards,

Alan.

#9 ih8viruses

ih8viruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

Hi all!.... I decided to bring my computer in to a shop to get fixed.. Thanks for the help though!.... figured if I can't even get into safe mode to run the scans, that I would need someone to work on it (other than me)

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

Do you have backups of your important files. The last time I trusted someone else to repair my system they took the easy road and reformatted the drive wiping it clean.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users