Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Power Unit And Now No Power!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ROZCKA

ROZCKA

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

:thumbsup: Have just installed a new PSU system on a friends pc that had died on her. After connecting all the cables up i plugged on the power supply and the fan kicked in but no boot up off the hard drive, so i re-opend the case and saw that the 20pin cable connection to the motherboard was'nt seated right so i sorted that out and re-checked all my cables. Now the fan does'nt come on and the pc is just dead. I've checked all the switches and still nothing. The psu i took out was 250W and the new one i've put in is 300W, I was told this was ok. It's a five year old pc and the new Psu had 24pin on it but the extra 4 pin did come off easily to allow a 20pin connection. ANY IDEAS PLEASE i'm stuck now and would really like to fix this for my friend...regards ROZ.... THE SETTING ON THE BACK OF THE PSU IS SET AT 230V IS THIS CORRECT? I AM IN UK

Edited by groovicus, 23 January 2008 - 10:22 AM.
Edited title: Everybody here needs urgent help.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

The setting is fine at the back, what i would do is unpluf the psu from all other devices apart from the motherboard and hard drive, see if this works. if you are saying that the computer worked before then its just a simple transplant of PSUs, did you remove anything else? you should really bench test the motherboard by removing it from the case completely and placing it on a non conductive surface and connect everything to it and see if it "fires up".

make sure all the cards and memory sticks are seated properly and also ensure the psu connectors to the mobo are seated correctly also.

and one more thing make sure the power switch wire has not become loose, because obviously if it has then the two pins on the mobo that need to be shorted in order to boot the computer will not be connected when you press the switch.

try the above and post back with results.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

230Volt is the correct voltage for you. Try unplugging the PSU from the wall receptacle for ten or fifteen minutes and try it again.

I see where TheHelp has posted just a second before me, what they didn't mention is that you will need to disconnect the 20 pin PSU connector from the mother board -with the power off- and place a jumper between the green wire socket and any black wire socket to bypass the motherboard and turn the PSU on. I would try rechecking your connections and then try the unplugging it from the wall first.

Edited by dc3, 23 January 2008 - 09:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

Hi Guys this pc worked fine before. She told me she shut down one evening and the next day the pc was dead. I checked all the usual stuff to make sure it was the power supply before installing a new PSU. I just did as you said and only connected the Mobo and hard drive and still nothing. The power supply is good so how come it worked at first and now is dead. I've checked a nd rechecked all connections i'm totally baffled.How do i do the jumper on the 20pin connector?? I have a paper clip will this work?

Edited by ROZCKA, 23 January 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#5 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

hi DC3 have used a paperclip to connect jumper on 20 pin conector and PSU fAN came on...so what does this mean?

Edited by ROZCKA, 23 January 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

Means that theres a good chance that the power supply is good and there is another hardware problem possibly the motherboard. What kind of computer is it? If its an E-machine theres a good chance that the MB is gone too. E-machines have had problems in the past with this I have personally repaired a few and so have other members.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

HI Sneakycyber thanks for getting back to me. All the info I have about this pc is in front of me, so it's an ACER ASPIRE, MOTHERBOARD is ATA 133 M7VIQ, and the previous PSU was 250W. If E-machines means cheap run of the mill, mail order catalogue pc, then yes that's probably what this is. A replacement Motherboard for this costs about 15 off ebay at the moment , what if it's the CPU though? is there any tests i can do for the CPU?. Or will she have to replace motherboard and cpu?? thanks in advance....ROZ

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

The only way to test a CPU is to put it in a known good MB. When you say that the Power connector was not seated right was it not aligned properly, plugged in backwards, or just not seated all the way.. If it was the former you may have fried the motherboard. googling the mb model reveals its a biostar socket 462/A you can find a replacement from Pc chips is available from Newegg.com link. I don't personally recommend PcChips but they are the only ones I can find.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

THE power cable to the motherboard was aligned ok just not pushed all the way home. have just talked with owner and she's given me the go ahead to replace motherboard so have bid on this one on Ebay that matches exactly...with patience i will do it although all this is first time for me lol. Thanks Sneakycyber i'll let you know how it goes from here :thumbsup:

Attached Files

#10 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

Once i've replaced the mobo will i have to install drivers for it or will it just pick up where the old one left off and use the drivers already on the pc??

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

You must install the drivers from the CD which accompanies the board, after XP is fully installed and the XP firewall is activated.

The CD should be set to autorun...you may have to put a few checkmarks in boxes, but install all drivers which appear as install options.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/145

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,751308,00.asp

You should also check Device Manager for any old onboard drivers/devices reflected which relate to the old motherboard...and remove same from Device Manager.

If the system has problems after all this, you may have to do a repair install of XP to smooth things out.

Louis

#12 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hamluis.....The present Mobo has died and i need to replace it. What do you mean about installing windows xp? windows is on the hard drive already and this is'nt an upgrade it's a straight swop the motherboards are the same. Can you be more specific?. I thought i could just take out the old and put in the new and that was all there was to it.

Edited by ROZCKA, 25 January 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

Even though the boards are Identical there may or may not be a problem with windows. Start with just swapping the MB and see what happens. After you get windows to boot check for any driver or windows updates. If windows starts having problems you may need to do a repair install of windows. Since the boards are identical you shouldn't have any problems with drivers unless they are different revisions of the same board.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#14 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for clearing that point up and if i have any more problems with this i'll post it on the forums. I'm learning all the time and enjoying all of it even the problems. Cheers for the help :thumbsup:

#15 ROZCKA

ROZCKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

:thumbsup: Well today the motherboard came and i very carefully replaced the one i had in the old pc and put it all together and NOTHING AGAIN. I've checked an rechecked several times that all the connections are correct and seated properly, I've tried the power with just the H/D and it's doing nothing. So i know the power is on and working (CHECK) i know the motherboard is working (JUST BOUGHT IT) and that all the connections are right so PLEASE PL,EASE TELLME what is causing this pc not to work???? Help Please.......ROZ

Edited by ROZCKA, 29 January 2008 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users