Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Of Xp Home/professional...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeroids

mikeroids

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:11 AM

I have a dell laptop and it came with windows xp home, but did not include the reinstall cd. I really need to wipe my HD and start all over. My first quesition is this: I have a Windows XP Professional install disk, will that work with my computer/product key(which i beleive is located near the battery on my laptop?

My second question is this: My mother has a toshiba laptop and she has the windows XP reinstall disk but it specifically says for her model laptop will it work on my computer, and with my product key?

Thanks a bunch, Im attempting to save my self some money by working around things

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

I once asked a MS rep about the legalities about doing this and could not get them to state unequivocally whether this is or isn't legal leaving it at a gray matter. If you have the same OEM disc that was used to install your OS then give it a try. You can also call Dell and see what it would take to get a installation disc from them, it should be considerably less expensive than purchasing the new copy of XP.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

No.

XP Home is an apple, XP Pro is an orange.

As for attempting to save money...I imagine that everyone with an illegal install of XP Pro or XP Home...can say the same thing.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

I once asked a MS rep about the legalities about doing this and could not get them to state unequivocally whether this is or isn't legal leaving it at a gray matter.

I don't see any grey about it, what could possibley be illegal? The computer has a legal copy, the law and microsoft both require disks to be available in some form or fashion or a recovery partition. Beg, borrow or order an oem disk. First have your number!!!!!!! Make sure the disk matches the number! Download and archive the drivers for the computer.

I have done this several times when someone lost the disks and/or didn't have time to order them. Of course you don't get to install a lot of the programs that came with the computer, sometimes this is a plus. These generic loads always activate and validate and update fine.

Microsoft would rather liscense the OS for a limited time and then have you keep paying them on a subscription basis, that idea didn't fly very well.

Edited by DaChew, 23 January 2008 - 10:58 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users