Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:55 AM

About 2 years ago, I had to totally wipe my system clean due to a virus, (Dell Computer only about 3 years old) I successfully downloaded SP2, IE7, Defender. I recently had to wipe it clean again due to another virus, but this time, I enabled the Microsoft Update understanding that SP2 would be one of the updates, but it isn't. I tried to install SP2, but it didn't, also I tried IE7, and Ad-Aware. They require SP2. Any ideas? I don't want my computer to be 'unprotected'.

Thanks in advance, Peggy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

You can download SP2 at Download details Windows XP Service Pack 2 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...45-9e368d3cdb5a

Ignore the instructions about not downloading for just one computer :thumbsup:.

SP2 is a requirement now to use the WinUpdate site...did you know that SP3 is in beta right now?

Louis

#3 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

Thank you so much for the info. I did see the link to download for IT professionals, and the bit about needing SP2 for WinUpdate is confusing since they said to have auto update in order to get SP2!
I will definitely go to the link you gave me when I get home tonight. I appreciate all you and the others do to help us computer challenged people out! Will let you know if it works.

Peggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users