Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Display Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lonedog

lonedog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

I bought an HP laptop from Best Buy in the summer of 2003 for use in school. Since that time I've had the hard drive replaced once and the motherboard replaced twice, all through Best Buy's warranty program (I know...big mistake).

When I received my laptop back after the initial replacement of the hard drive and motherboard, I noticed that my laptop display would occasionally develop pink flickering lines running horizontally across the display whenever I opened up a program. In certain instances the problem would progress to the point where my entire screen turned pink. I made a few adjustments suggested by an online tech from HP and a few others which seemed to help. Soon afterwards, though, my motherboard died again.

After the second motherboard replacement, the "pink screen" problem developed again. This time, however, I noticed that in some instances I could make it go away if I tapped on the touch pad or minimized and/or closed the program in which I was working (in fact, it has occurred a few times while writing this post).

My question is whether Best Buy could have done something wrong with respect to the replacement of my motherboard to cause this problem? Or is my display just on its last legs? Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Doug

P.S. Keep in mind that I never had a single problem with my monitor until after Best Buy initally replaced the motherboard and hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

Absolutely they could have done something. Since the components of laptops are so condensed its very possible something was put back together wrong, wires are loose, etc. I personally, with all your problems, would make best buy replace the entire laptop

#3 lonedog

lonedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:55 PM

Absolutely they could have done something. Since the components of laptops are so condensed its very possible something was put back together wrong, wires are loose, etc. I personally, with all your problems, would make best buy replace the entire laptop

Thanks. I took it into a local shop to see if they could give me some answers. Depending on what they say, I may take your advice!

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:35 PM

I absolutely agree with Grinler. only one problem (unless they changed it) you have to have it go into the shop 3 or more times to get a Replacement. from reading what you said it sounds like you did it only 2 times. Once for HD and Motherboard and another time for the Motherboard?

Confused as to why you would need 2 new Motherboards in 2 years (or less) time?

Final Notes Dust off your warranty information from back then and read it throughly, there just might be a nice little Loophole no one has told you about.

Don't tell them i Sent you they already mad at me from getting my friend a brand new TV right b4 his warranty ran out. Because of the Loopholes. :thumbsup:

#5 lonedog

lonedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:06 PM

I absolutely agree with Grinler. only one problem (unless they changed it) you have to have it go into the shop 3 or more times to get a Replacement. from reading what you said it sounds like you did it only 2 times. Once for HD and Motherboard and another time for the Motherboard?

Confused as to why you would need 2 new Motherboards in 2 years (or less) time?

Final Notes Dust off your warranty information from back then and read it throughly, there just might be a nice little Loophole no one has told you about.

Don't tell them i Sent you they already mad at me from getting my friend a brand new TV right b4 his warranty ran out.  Because of the Loopholes.  :thumbsup:

You're right in that I've only taken it in twice. I'm hoping to avoid a third time as I am completely dissatisfied with their service.

I'm at a loss to explain why I've had two motherboards replaced in less than two years. Believe me, I don't abuse my laptop. I don't play games on it, I don't use Kazaa or any other file sharing systems, and I'm super careful about e-mail attachments. I'm in law school and imy laptop s vital for my work. I can't afford to take chances with it.

Back in July of last year an HP tech suggested I upgrade my BIOS to help manage the super loud fans on my laptop. My laptop hasn't been right since. I took it back to Best Buy last August and they replaced the hard drive and motherboard (took them damn six weeks). I got the laptop back at the end of September and less than 3 months later the damn motherboard was fried again.

With respect to the warranty...are you talking about the Best Buy warranty or the original manufacturer's warranty? Let me know

Doug

BTW, the tech looking at my laptop seems to think there might be a problem with the inverter(?) Does this sound possible/probable?

Edited by lonedog, 09 March 2005 - 11:07 PM.

#6 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

I was Referring to the BestBuy Plan, as i don't think you get Manufacture Warranty more than one year.

The reason it takes so long to fix the Laptop is most likely they don't do the work. but outsource it to some company who is certified/has the ability to work on laptops. (thats what they do here donno about where you are from)

The Power inverter is probably what they are talking about. yes and no the power inverter could be why your Motherboard keeps frying. depends on the setup of the laptop but could very well be a possibility that it could also be making your screen connection over heat which could cause the red/pink screen.
do you plug it in when your using it or run it on battery power? if you always run it plugged in try charging it full (A full charge is Charging without using for a night) then using it on battery power. then open your programs like you normally would and see it its any difference.

Sorry not using right terminology, its early in the morning. and my brain don't wake up till about 10PM and goes to sleep at 10:05PM. :thumbsup:

#7 lonedog

lonedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:51 PM

I was Referring to the BestBuy Plan, as i don't think you get Manufacture Warranty more than one year.

The reason it takes so long to fix the Laptop is most likely they don't do the work. but outsource it to some company who is certified/has the ability to work on laptops. (thats what they do here donno about where you are from)

The Power inverter is probably what they are talking about. yes and no the power inverter could be why your Motherboard keeps frying. depends on the setup of the laptop but could very well be a possibility that it could also be making your screen connection over heat which could cause the red/pink screen.
do you plug it in when your using it or run it on battery power? if you always run it plugged in try charging it full (A full charge is Charging without using for a night) then using it on battery power. then open your programs like you normally would and see it its any difference.

Sorry not using right terminology, its early in the morning. and my brain don't wake up till about 10PM and goes to sleep at 10:05PM. :thumbsup:

Hey LoLucky,

I have tried running it on a fully charged battery, but to no avail.

The local repair shop indicated that the data cable running from the motherboard to the display is bad. Of course, HP doesn't sell this as a separate part, so according to the shop, I'd have to get a whole new LCD screen, which costs $650. Nevermind the installation cost.

I called Best Buy and of course they gave me the noncommittal "it should take no more than 2 weeks" story for them to fix it. Yeah, right.

I guess I'm caught between a rock and a hard place right now. I can't afford to pay a local shop to do the repair and I definitely can't afford to have Best Buy holding on to my laptop for 4 friggin' weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users