Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process To Network 4 Pcs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:49 AM

I just want to know the procedures on how to network 4 computers using switch, DSL modem/router.Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:03 AM

For a start, make sure you have every computer connected to the switch and all have IP address assigned or Automatically assigned by a DHCP server. Once you have connectivity, then you can join them all to the same work group. For example, Home or LAN. A router usually has a built in DHCP server in it so just use that instead of assigning each computer a IP address manually.

Is that enough information or do you need more? :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

Should I run network wizard for each computer just to be in the same workgroup.Or Ill just assign static IP to each station?

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

No. You need to click My computer PROPERTIES and navigate to where you set the computer name and workgroup. Just make sure to enter the same workgroup name to all 4 but, of course, different computer names. Normally, if in your network properties you've allowed to get DHCP and DNS automatically, rebooting the computers will do the rest.

#5 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

Connect your modem/router to the switch and all the computers to the switch using a straight through cabling.

Now depending on how u want it u can set the computers to get Ip's automatically or u an set them with fixed IP addresses. its easier for u to set it for automatic ip addressing so u don't have to worry about configuring ur router and puting the gateway on the PC....
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:08 AM

Thanks to all of u.Ill try to do these.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users