Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oops! Now What Do I Do?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hello,

A while ago I decided to copy certain Folders to a "Backup Folder" on my storage drive. One of the folders that I copied was my Windows folder. Later, I decided that since I had created another "Backup Folder" consisting of only documents and settings I no longer needed that previous folder that I had copied the Windows files to so I tried to delete that entire "Backup Folder", the one containing the Windows folder I had copied and I found that I could not delete "system files". Then, I got the idea to "move" the files onto a rewritable CD. To make a long story short, it would not work and now I have "Temporary files waiting to be written to the CD" that I ALSO CANNOT DELETE! There MUST be a way that I can get rid of these temporary files. Every time I start my PC an icon appears in the system tray alerting me that there are "temporary files waiting to be writeen to CD".

Please, can anyone instruct me on how to get rid of them!?!?

Waiting patiently,

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

Try renaming the files/folder. That works for me.

Louis

#3 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

Try renaming the files/folder. That works for me.

Louis

Thanks for your reply hamluis, however, a friend of mine already suggested that I change the files' names so that I would be able to delete them but "the system" will NOT ALLOW me to change these filenames.......

Again....OOPS! Now what do I do?????

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

You can download a trial version of jv16 PowerTools and remove them.

http://www.macecraft.com/download/jv16powertools2007/

Please read the instruction before attempting to use.

You could also try deleting from Safe Mode.

Louis

#5 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

You can download a trial version of jv16 PowerTools and remove them.

http://www.macecraft.com/download/jv16powertools2007/

Please read the instruction before attempting to use.

You could also try deleting from Safe Mode.

Louis

Thanks again for replying!! I tried deleting from Safe Mode....perhaps I did not do it correctly!! Would you be able to instruct me in the proper method/syntax to be able to delete them from Safe Mode? I am also following your suggestion of downloading trial version of jv16 Power Tools.

Also, what is troubling me evenmore than having the files in said directory on my Storage (D) Drive is the fact that they are now in the "Write files to CD 'process'" so that everytime I start my PC I am reminded with that "You have files waiting to be written to CD" icon in my system tray. Is there some way to at least get them OUT OF THAT PROCESS??

I hope my explanation is clear enough for you to understand!!!!

Thanks again :thumbsup: ,

trumpetman51 (John)

trumpetman51 (John)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

They are "system" files - and as such are "owned" by the system. You'll have to take ownership of them in order to do anything with them. Here's a link on how to do that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:23 AM

HOORAY!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
And BIG THANKS to USASMA for informing me about the whole concept of those "system files being OWNED by the SYSTEM and how to "take ownership" of them by going to the link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

where I LEARNED HOW TO TAKE OWNERSHIP of the files and eventually be able to delete them from my Storage Drive where I had foolishly (actually ignorantly) copied them as a means of "backing them up"!!!

As the Forum Topic explained it did turn out to be a bit tricky AND very time consuming as I had to get it done by doing it from SAFE MODE!!

I Even was able to drop the "Files Waiting to Be Written to CD" problem that I created in trying to get rid of the files from my D Drive!!!!

BOTTOM LINE is.......PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! :trumpet: and (for now anyway) I could NOT BE HAPPIER with WINDOWS!!!!

Thanks to everyone that replied and tried to help but SPECIAL THANKS AGAIN to USASMA......you're THE MAN JOHN!!!

Now, the only thing that I don't know how to do is to CLOSE this TOPIC!!! Anybody able to spell that out for me!! I don't want MORE GOOD SAMARITANS thinking that I need anymore help with this topic!!!

:thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove:

trumpetman51 (John)

trumpetman51 (John)

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

Nick work usasma :flowers:

Ive bookmarked that incase I ever need it :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:42 AM

I'm glad to hear that it helped you out!

It's never foolish to back anything up. It may take up space, but once it's gone - it's gone!
And later on, if you need the space, you just go back and delete the stuff that you don't need.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users