Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow System

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 johndeeredude

johndeeredude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

Hi, My computer is very slow. I have read the slow computer post, deleted unused games, placed all pics on CD, defragged, ran disc cleanup, also ran cleanup451, drweb cureit, registry mechanic, spybot, and ATF cleaner. None of these helped in the least bit. I have norton and spysweeper installed, they find nothing. I have a DSL connection. For an example, when I click on my start menu, I get a good "8 mississippi" before the menu finally appears, and it just slowly eases up a little at a time. Its driving me crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated. johndeeredude

Edited by groovicus, 23 January 2008 - 07:03 PM.
Edited title to fit BC guidelines. Please read the rules for posting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

Hi Johndeeredude, :thumbsup: to BC!
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete or Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the task manager and see what is taking the most processor usage. Probably a virus hogging your cpu or a 3rd party background program with bad memory leaks.
Also, what are your system specs?

Edited by Tomo2, 22 January 2008 - 11:38 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 johndeeredude

johndeeredude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Hello. "system idle process" is taking up the most. It's flickering in the 97 range. How do I find my specs? Thanks, johndeeredude

#4 ssmail8835

ssmail8835

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

One program I would completely disable is your norton program. Try running your computer without it and see if there's improvement (start, run, type msconfig, click startup and uncheck norton, reboot). If so, uninstall norton and find another antivirus & firewall program to use such as AVG antivirus (free) & free Zonealarm or Comodo as firewalls. Based on experience fixing other people's computers, norton and mcafee are resource hogs anymore.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

You can use a program called PC Wizard to get the specifications for your computer. Start the program and when it starts up it will show a window labeled system summary copy and past that information into a forum post.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 johndeeredude

johndeeredude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

Thanks folks. Here are my system details:
Manufacturer : Compaq
Mainboard : Asus Goldfish2
Chipset : Intel i915GL
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 518J @ 3066 MHz
Physical Memory : 256 MB (1 x 256 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/GL, 82910GL Integrated Graphics Device
Hard Disk : ST3200822AS (200 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 640b
CD-Rom Drive : ASUS CD-S480/A5
Monitor Type : AOC International - 14 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

I disabled norton from the startup, as well as a few auto updaters (adobe, kodak, itunes). It seems like it got even slower. It took a good five minutes for the page to open up so I could log in to type this. Also seems like once I'm up and running on the internet, pages seem to come in quicker. But like my start menu is still really slow coming up or going away, and if I "X" off of a page, it very slowly goes away, I would refer to it as if a a curtain being pulled down. thanks for all the help so far. johndeeredude

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

The system idle process is not really a process. It is telling you that you have 97% free resources. Ok, it is sort of a process, but its only function is to tell what percent of your resources are being used.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Depending on what you have running in the background, We already know about your Antiviral you may need more memory. As the computer came stock it was most likely ok, as you have added programs and services such as SP2 (windows service pack 2 and all available updates) etc your computer requires more memory. I personally have 2 gigs of memory and a slower processor then yours and I have no lag time at all. There may be more contributing factors at work. You can try eliminating background running programs to free up some memory. The problem comes in when you need those programs to be running such as Anti virus, Firewall, and messenger services.

Edit: Added (windows service pack 2 and all available updates)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 January 2008 - 07:12 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 johndeeredude

johndeeredude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

How do I find a list of background running programs, and will they be identifiable in layman's terms?

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

By pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL will bring up the running process click on the username tab until it list all the running processes under your name. Under image name is the name of the process and on the right hand of the window it will list the memory usage. You can google the name of the program to find out what it is if its not apparent.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

As Sneakycyber said...256MB of RAM likely isn't enough to run any system that has more than the most basic programs installed.

Programs like MS Office, activities like rendering, burning CDs/DVDs...files like movies....programs like AV and malware-defense programs...all of these can run on 256MB...but they sure won't run efficiently at all.

The programs that you mentioned (Adobe, iTunes, Kodak EasyShare)...all place a workload on the system that I don't think 256MB can handle with anything other than a struggle. And that's only 3 of the known programs you have installed.

Additionally, the fact that you have such a tiny amount of RAM creates another inefficiency by forcing greater use of your pagefile/swapfile.

I just found some DDR lying around the other day that I don't use for anything...it looks to be 756 MB of PC3200. I have no problem with sending it to you gratis, you can try it in your system...I'm sure the difference will be noticeeable.

Send me a mailing address via either email or personal message and it should be on the way to you by Saturday.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users