Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Noisy Hd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

This may be a dumb question as I don't know to much about internals.

Hi I recently had a Windows 98 PC die so I stripped it out and used the spare parts. Network card went to a ME computer RAM went to 98SE computer and the HD went to the same ME computer. Its and old generic drive only 2.5GB perfect for a page file. It is set as slave and works fine (the ME computer needed more RAM but the spare RAM was incompatible). The trouble is the second HD is sooo loud.

So, my question... Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to make it quieter? I had to take a slot out of the front of the case for it to fit and the noise comes straight out. I can cover up the hole but it is still annoyingly loud. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks. :thumbsup:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

Short of isolating it in an external case and then burying it some where there isn't much you can do about it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

Newer drive.

You run chkdsk /r and defrag this drive?

Win 98 was a long time ago...for a drive.

Louis

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks guys I guess I'll just pack it in neatly with something. I don't use that PC on to often, its usually my dad when I'm on this PC. I found another HD yesterday (quite one) that I might put in instead (14GB). I can't buy new RAM to put in it (its only got 64mb on ME) because I'm not spending anything on them. So the cheapest option is old hard drives with a swap file on them :thumbsup: good enough for me.

Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

I understand about the swap file on an old hard drive...but you cannot expect the advances of the past 5 years on a drive that is older than 5 years :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

Swap file relocation is dependent on many things. Relocating the swap file to a slower driver may actually decrease your performance when the system pages stuff because the faster drive (even with Windows working on it) may be quicker than the slower drive (especially if it's making a lot of noise).

Also, the noise may indicate that the drive's on it's last legs and is about to fail. I'd then suggest running a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

I had many, many problems piling up on that PC so I re-installed windows ME. I did go slower without the noisy old HD but after a format and Clean install It was just like new... though I didn't own it new. It did however come with a preinstalled problem.

Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 and WMP 7 screw each other up. And this PC installs both of them with windows :thumbsup: . I couldn't run the uninstaller so I'm gonna spend a while searching for files and registry entries from that program. I updated to WMP 9 to see if it fixed it but no such luck.

Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

EZCD 4...is pretty old, I used to use it. Or maybe I stopped at 3.5...

I believe that the most current version when I quit was EZCD 5 or 5.5, see the Roxio website.

Adaptec was bought out or became Roxio, if there are updates available (should be free), you need to download those and install. Really, rather than fool with an old version like that, I think I'd just use some current free version of burn software (not that I know any, but Chewy does and I'm sure others do).

Posted link for incompatibility with XP removed, I forgot that you said it was installed on a Me system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#9 Tomo2

Tomo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

I don't want or need a CD burning program for that computer. All I wanted was to remove it but had to do it manually. Can't believe that it came pre-installed with a problem like that.

Posted Image

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

ancient history

adaptec got rid of easy cd long ago, but windows xp(MS) used the core burning files, big mess

roxio/poxio rose from the ashes, became sonic then infiltrated itunes and other crap burning programs

now back to basics, windows me is a total mess that microsoft abandoned rather than fix, ie. tough luck, no rebates,
buy xp or w2k

you can always uninstall roxio and try to clean up the filter drivers left but you still have windows me, I never could get newer programs to work on ME and ended up switching over to W2k or revertng back to windows 98
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users