Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail Popper

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

I had a bad experience a month ago with servicing my CPU. I used to have hotpopper(for my hotmail account) installed in my Thunderbird email program. The tech disabled that program among others. Now I have to go to that Windows live hotmail site directly to get my hotmail. Needless to say I have changed most of my old hotmail addy's so I can view my mail accounts all in Thunderbird.
I think something in the server settings is not entered correctly for hotmail when I look in T-bird+account settings.
Does anyone know how I can safely reinstall hotpopper? It was so convenient to have all my email accounts available in one place. I actually had a tech tell me that hotpopper is malware!

I don't understand all the technical jargon, so step by step instructions would be great!
I had someone else set up hotpopper a long time ago, so I really don't know server names,ports,etc.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

These instructions should help you set up Hotmail Popper: Hotmail Popper
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the link TMack, but I just don't understand the set up....sigh. The port number + server name(which is really a number) are already there + correct. I just don't have that little flame(candle) icon in my task bar.
I have had a regular hotmail account for years, but now I see there is going to be a charge to use hotpopper. Why is this?
And what is the significance of a number instead of a name in the server box? Looks like an IP address to me....hmmm...
Thank you
honu1

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Am wondering if it's one of two things;

Your version of Hotmail Popper needs to updated to a current version.
or
When this was initially set up, it was a Trial version. Trial versions expire after you upload and download 100 messages.

Do you fall into this category?

Microsoft has recently decided that only paying members and existing 'valued' members will be able access Hotmail using outside services such as Hotmail Popper. Hotmail Popper will continue working with a "Hotmail Plus" (or equivalent MSN) account. It will also continue working if you have an older Hotmail account that Microsoft considers a 'valued' account.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

As far as I know it wasn't a "trial" version. I've had well over 100 emails thru hotmail. I've had my hotmail account for a few years now.

I'm just not sure as to how to configure it all. I am so inept with the tech side of things....sigh. I just wish Staples had left the program alone. They claimed it was malware+took it off my system!

The person who reinstalled Windows XP at the computer repair shop didn't like the numbers that showed up in the settings for server name.

Can you explain to me what all the terms mean for incoming,outgoing,ports,etc. mean? I don't want to download anything until I fully understand what I'm doing.

Thank you for a;; your time+most of all patience! :thumbsup:
honu1

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:01 PM

Just wanted to add something real quick here.
How on earth do I determine if I am a "valued" member/customer to Microsoft? I'm thinking maybe it's a pay as you go type of thing? :thumbsup:

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users